Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How hide files for other users

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 372 posts.

31-May-2013, 01:48 AM #1
How hide files for other users
Is it possible to hide a folder from other users that aren't admins? I do not want it not to activate or be executed, I just don't want it to be possible to be shown on other users.

OR is it possible to just completely deny access to the C:/ Drive. I've tried messing with the security of the Crive but sine I'm an Admin AND User at the same time, anything that affects the users affects me as well.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,994 posts.

31-May-2013, 10:47 AM #2
Quote:
Is it possible to hide a folder from other users that aren't admins?
Right click on the folder and select the "Hidden" attribute. I haven't tested this, but pretty sure that non-administrator accounts cannot turn on 'Show hidden folders' and thus see it.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,255 posts.

31-May-2013, 04:34 PM #3
Hi Terry, non-admins CAN turn on show hidden files.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,994 posts.

31-May-2013, 04:38 PM #4
Quote:
Hi Terry, non-admins CAN turn on show hidden files.
Oh! Thanks.

And that will show even hidden files owned by another account? I've hardly ever had a second account on a machine, so I should probably keep quiet on these issues.
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 8,901 posts.

Experience: Advanced
31-May-2013, 05:00 PM #5
If it is NTFS I believe you can password protect it
Computer Specs
Member with 2,888 posts.

Experience: Seasoned Professional
31-May-2013, 07:20 PM #6
Right-click on the file or folder, then go to properties, then the Security tab. From there, click "Edit" under the group or user names section at the top, then look for the users you want to deny access to from the list. Click "Add" and add them if they are not in the list. For each user, highlight the line with their name on it, then click the checkbox for "Full Control" on the "Delete" column. Click Apply, then OK when you are done, then OK again to close out of the properties window.

This, in addition to using the "Hidden" attribute will keep people from seeing the folder, and if for some reason they do see it, they can't access it. Do NOT do this for C:\, C:\Windows, or C:\Program Files (or --- (x86)). This will make the system unusable for the affected users. This should only apply to "Data" folders...
Computer Specs
Member with 5,255 posts.

01-Jun-2013, 01:18 PM #7
Hi Terry,

A folder can be owned by another acc and it's security permissions set so that the Users group doesn't have Read permissions, then you cannot see what is inside or navigate into it.

The hidden attribute is another separate thing which makes it not show up in explorer until you checkmark 'show hidden files' .
Computer Specs
Member with 372 posts.

02-Jun-2013, 07:15 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurutech View Post
Right-click on the file or folder, then go to properties, then the Security tab. From there, click "Edit" under the group or user names section at the top, then look for the users you want to deny access to from the list. Click "Add" and add them if they are not in the list. For each user, highlight the line with their name on it, then click the checkbox for "Full Control" on the "Delete" column. Click Apply, then OK when you are done, then OK again to close out of the properties window.

This, in addition to using the "Hidden" attribute will keep people from seeing the folder, and if for some reason they do see it, they can't access it. Do NOT do this for C:\, C:\Windows, or C:\Program Files (or --- (x86)). This will make the system unusable for the affected users. This should only apply to "Data" folders...
Thing is (I assume you meant Deny) is that, i don't necessarily want the contents of the folder not to be executed.

And yes, other users can see the folder when clicking show hidden files. It's odd. I'd assume they wouldn't, unless I did something wrong with the settings.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!