Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows 7 does not recognize multifunction devices

(!)

Junior Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Nov-2009, 03:13 PM #1
Windows 7 does not recognize multifunction devices
Is there any method for forcing Windows 7 to find a USB device?

Specifically my Brother MFC-8440 printer, scanner, and fax machine was working just fine in Vista 64 bit but quit when I upgraded my PC to Windows 7.

Windows found a printer device but not the driver. It did not find the scanner or fax devices. I downloaded and unzipped the Vista - 64 drivers and then pointed the Windows 7 printer device to that directory. That fixed the printer.

However, Windows 7 does not recognize the scanner as a separate device. Apparently Windows 7 does not recognize multifunction devices. XP and Vista had no problem with this.
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

19-Nov-2009, 03:42 PM #2
Are you sure about that? I've never gotten any full function out of a multipurpose device by just pointing to drivers. Isn't there an installation package for the Brother? I can imagine some .dlls and supporting software besides the drivers have to get placed in some specific locations and without an installation package, I don't know if any OS can figure that out on its own.

19-Nov-2009, 03:57 PM #3
There is an installation package for all versions of windows through Vista. Oddly Brother isn't supporting Windows 7.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,620 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Nov-2009, 05:23 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by okrick View Post
There is an installation package for all versions of windows through Vista. Oddly Brother isn't supporting Windows 7.
Well, then it is a Brothers issue NOT a Windows 7 thing.
Have you tried the Vista software and drivers for this "Brothers" device?
Account Disabled with 1,098 posts.

19-Nov-2009, 08:49 PM #5
Quote:
However, Windows 7 does not recognize the scanner as a separate device. Apparently Windows 7 does not recognize multifunction devices. XP and Vista had no problem with this.
A strange thing with my HP Multi-Function in Windows 7 is that it 'stacks' the devices under one icon. HP Officejet J4680 (Printer/Scanner/Fax). All of them are recognized & work (with Windows Fax & Scan as well as with HP's software) but when I go into Printers & Devices all I see is a single icon labelled 'HP J4680'. When I right-click on it though, I'm given the choice of seeing/managing the J4680 Printer, J4680 Scanner, or J4680 Fax.

In print dialogs, the Printer & Fax show separately so Windows 7 does see them as separate devices-it's just also smart enough to know that they're all on the same USB port.

19-Nov-2009, 11:06 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Well, then it is a Brothers issue NOT a Windows 7 thing.
Have you tried the Vista software and drivers for this "Brothers" device?
I have tried the Vista software and drivers.

It is true that Brothers decided not to support Windows 7. However, Windows XP and Vista both recognized that this specific device had multiple functions and would show device errors for all of the functions until the proper drivers were supplied. Windows 7 only recognized the printer function. I was able to correct the printer function by showing Windows where the drivers were located. I feel that if the scanner function showed a driver error then I could correct the problem in the same manner.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,620 posts.

Experience: Beginner
20-Nov-2009, 01:18 PM #7
Your problem is still the fact that BROTHERS has NOT provided the drivers and software to Microsoft to be included.
What you MAY have is a GENERIC print driver written by MS or some other party, to accommodate those users of this product.

It appears then that NO one has written a driver for the scanner.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

20-Nov-2009, 06:18 PM #8
Hi okrick

Have you tried installing the drivers in compatibility mode for Vista? The following link provides a procedure for doing this: http://bit.ly/B0tCG .

Hope this helps
GeoffV
Windows 7 Client Team
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.

Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
20-Nov-2009, 06:42 PM #9
Quote:
Brother says that the 8440 is Windows 7 compatible: "The Windows Update system provided by Microsoft® provides the appropriate drivers for your Brother machine. These drivers have the basic functionality of Brother original drivers." http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...od=mfc8440_all

So, if running Windows Update and checking the optional updates doesn't work for you, I'd see if the 8440 shows up in device manager. If it does, try Update Driver.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
missing device, scanner, windows 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!