Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: After power up I have to reboot to get internet

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Dec-2009, 01:20 PM #1
Solved: After power up I have to reboot to get internet
When I power off at night, the next morning (or whenever I power up) I always have to soft reboot my Windows 7 Dell i7 desktop to get an internet connection but an XP machine on the same Netgear wired router always connects first time.

I assume the router is being offered a new IP by the dsl contractors modem but XP seems to cope no problem (both the router and modem are powered off when the computer is).

After soft reboot the cable dsl 20 meg connection is totally solid.

Have tried everything - can you help?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,320 posts.

04-Dec-2009, 10:15 PM #2
Quote:
Have tried everything - can you help?
If you had not already tried everything I would have asked if the same thing happens when you power up the modem first, then the router after the modem stabilizes, and then the computer after the router stabilizes.
Computer Specs

05-Dec-2009, 12:30 AM #3
Thanks Terry - yes tried that - power up router and modem get a green internet light on the router then power up computer and no internet until re-boot on the Windows 7 machine. Its crazy but I'd almost go back to XP to solve this - why does it seem that every new Microsoft offering (particularly Vista and Office 2007) offers less in a more complicated way?
Computer Specs

05-Dec-2009, 09:59 AM #4
Vista and 7 seem to network better and more easily than XP, except when they don't.

The number one cause of problems seems to be drivers. So, make sure you have the latest networking driver (the Vista one if no Windows 7 exists). For an integrated adapter it should be from Dell's web site.

The number two cause seems to be older routers. Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router. Then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it.
Computer Specs

06-Dec-2009, 06:09 AM #5
Thanks Terry - The Router is a Netgear RP614v4 and I have done the latest firmware and reset (this router is actually my#1 suspect) and I have ordered a cheap cable router to replace it to see if there's any difference. I had to return the first Netgear router I bought as there was something wrong with it and I suspect the replacement may not be perfect either.

Incidentally if I leave the modem and router powered up but just switch off the computer, it powers up with the internet first time no problem - so again this points at the router/modem DHCP etc..

Will update the network drivers as you suggest...
Computer Specs

06-Dec-2009, 08:18 AM #6
Updated driver for Intel Gigabit Network connection - interestingly there is an urgent Vista 64 driver but no driver for Windows 7 64 on the Dell site. Got one from Intel direct but no difference I'm afraid.
Computer Specs

06-Dec-2009, 11:21 AM #7
This is really, really strange! To me "leave the modem and router powered up but just switch off the computer, it powers up with the internet first time no problem" should guarantee that having everything shut down and then power up modem, router and computer in that order would work.

I can't think of any more questions or suggestions at this time.
Computer Specs

06-Dec-2009, 11:27 AM #8
Agree - but they're all on the same power switch. Thanks anyway.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,992 posts.

06-Dec-2009, 02:06 PM #9
Sounds like the router and modem are not getting powered up fast enough for the computer to see it, or the Modem to see the Router.

One should ALWAYS power up the external devices such as a modem and router before turning on the computer. Even some routers need to be on before the modem, so the modem can find the router.
Computer Specs

06-Dec-2009, 02:43 PM #10
Thanks Dave - yes you're quite right but I even tried powering up Modem and Router 10 mins before I power up the computer and - yes - still the same problem (wierd I agree).
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,992 posts.

06-Dec-2009, 10:13 PM #11
If I remember right the Router should be stared and then the Modem, as the cable modem sees the router as the connecting device and most DSL modems do the same, then the computer.

Watch for the blinking lights on the modem before firing up any computer.

I leave things on 7/24
Computer Specs
Member with 1,237 posts.

07-Dec-2009, 07:33 AM #12
my ? is, why are you turning off the modem & router when you power down the computer? mine stays on 24/7.
Computer Specs

07-Dec-2009, 07:39 AM #13
Sure but your rich and can afford unlimited amounts of electricity and maybe have a carbon footprint the size of Godzilla...

Besides the whole office is on a power off to save all the standby electricity costs - in the UK we watch these things - lets see how Copenhagen goes!

Last edited by blamont; 07-Dec-2009 at 12:59 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 1,237 posts.

07-Dec-2009, 08:38 AM #14
so sorry, i had no idea. thx for informing me happy holidays
Member with 408 posts.

07-Dec-2009, 10:28 AM #15
The advice I've heard is to never power down your modem and router. That's what my cable company advises. Maybe your particular cable company has a quirky handshake with Windows 7 that is causing this?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!