Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Permission to install program Win 7

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

Experience: OS challenged
09-Dec-2009, 01:41 AM #1
Red face Solved: Permission to install program Win 7
New computer only a week old, gettin acquainted. (Moving from XP)

Read somewhere I should not expose Admin acct to online risks, etc. So I set up a user acct for myself, as well.

Signed in user acct. Then it said I need to sign in for Admin. (not sure when, wasn't taking notes)

Downloaded a program and proceeded to install it. Message something ilke, "Denied to install in "Programs" and you can do this later.

Trying a second time, I obediently logged out user; In Admin... Can't find program. It isn't in download.

Guessing I need to use Admin to download or do anything but cruise on the net, yes?

Now what?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,369 posts.

09-Dec-2009, 01:32 PM #2
By "Admin acct" are you talking about the (well-hidden) special Administrative account or a User account with Administrative privileges?

By "user acct for myself" are you talking about a User account with Administrative privileges or a User account with restricted privileges?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

09-Dec-2009, 04:12 PM #3
It probably is in the downloads folder....for the user level account. In Windows 7, each user account has its own Downloads folder. Look in C:\Users\<useraccount>\Downloads\.
Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

Experience: OS challenged
09-Dec-2009, 05:55 PM #4
Part 1.

Terry, you ask hard questions.<smile> I'm not sure.

The initial acct is Admin, right?
Help said to set up a standard user acct and that if I wanted to make any changes it would be asked for a pw. Seemed like a good idea. I was unable to install a program I downloaded.

Acct 1. Admin pw, 2. User Standard pw 3. Guest (family when I can't avoid it)

Is it best to
just use #1?

change 2 to User Admin? Would that eliminate download/install problems

Part 2

I have looked all over for the downloaded file, and yes I checked under the bed. User accounts, temp files, desktop.
(I knew how to find stuff with DOS)

How do I get to Windows 7 files to show?

Part 3

My lost program was downloaded from IE and I have been using another browser. Should I click Run or Open? Is there a simple place where I can find this out?

Thanks, guys. I sure appreciate your contributions.

Can't find Windows temp files.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

09-Dec-2009, 06:20 PM #5
Open the folder C:\Users\<username>\Downloads where <username> is the name of the limited account.

No, Administrator is not the initial account that is created. I wouldn't use a limited account. It provides a measure of security, but the level of annoyance isn't worth it. I use a strong security suite and practice smart surfing habits.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,369 posts.

09-Dec-2009, 07:00 PM #6
Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab. Get rid of those annoying Microsoft defaults (don't hide extensions and don't hide "protected operating system files" in particular). Somewhere else you need to change Search options so that "system files" are not ignored in searches.

The special Administrator account is named "Administrator." There is a way to make it appear (at least there is in Vista), but there is little reason to do so.

User accounts are either Administrative or Standard. I once tried a Standard account in Windows 2000 Pro (think it was called Limited then) and quickly came to the same conclusion DoubleHelix stated.
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.

Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
09-Dec-2009, 07:51 PM #7
In the past, running an account with privileges less than an Administrator caused a world of problems for Windows users. I'm ignoring networked environments and other special situations here, BTW.

Anyway, both in Vista and Windows 7 even members of the Administrators group don't have full administrative privileges in the traditional sense. Some programs have to be run with elevated privileges (the Run as Administrator option) even if you are an administrator. So there really isn't much point to a limited account even in 7 just so long as you keep User Account Control set to at least the default setting and have good antimalware defenses in place. Most of the worst threats come from programs that users run in spite of the security warnings from their system.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
admin, download, lost file, permission, win 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!