Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Windows 7 Freezes (Desktop/Taskbar)

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 14 posts.

Experience: Little bit of everything.
10-Dec-2009, 06:28 PM #1
Exclamation Solved: Windows 7 Freezes (Desktop/Taskbar)
I have windows 7 and it has been working ever since I got it (about 1 month ago). Now though, it booted up correctly and everything seemed fine, but when I went to open another program from the super-bar (taskbar), nothing was clickable. I tried to open it from the desktop, but nothing there was clickable either. Not even the gadgets. I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and went to Task Manager, but that wouldn't start either. The only things that weren't frozen were the programs I had open at the time (Firefox and Digsby). I have an ASUS U50V laptop with 4 GB of DDR2 RAM, a Nvidia GeForce G105 M graphics card, and and Intel processor. I would post more information, but as for the moment, my task bar has frozen. I read some other posts, but those didn't help much. I updated my Nvidia driver, but that didn't help either. I also read that I could underclock my processor, but I couldn't figure out how in the BIOS menu.

I have done an automatic software update and from then on it has been screwy.

Please, if you can help, that would be greatly appreciated. I would like either solution to fix this problem or just to back up my registry (only for installed programs) so I can reinstall Windows 7. Also, any information on what programs and add-ons are installed so I can re-download them would be helpful. I have put most of my programs on my second partition so that's why I only need to know how to back up the program files registry. Thanks!

EDIT:
Another thing that I just remembered that might be helpful is that when I go to turn my computer off (CTRL-ALT-DEL menu that comes up you can select Shut Down), everything comes back to active for a split second before the shut-down process starts and it logs off. If the menu comes up saying "These programs have not stopped yet" or whatever it says, I can click cancel and everything comes back to full functionality until 2-5 minutes later it freezes again. I can also log off and log back on and it unfreezes as well (until 2-5 minutes...etc.). Hope this new information helps as well!

EDIT 2:
I have also just found out that if i choose "Switch User" from the CTRL-ALT-DEL menu it unfreezes for 2-5 minutes as well.

Last edited by Zortrox; 10-Dec-2009 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: More Information
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Apple mac
11-Dec-2009, 07:50 AM #2
Please reinstall OS
Computer Specs

11-Dec-2009, 08:37 AM #3
@ mumair

Reinstalling the OS is one of my options that I want to do! It's in the post! If I do reinstall though, I need to know how to export my registry so I don't have to reinstall 100+ programs! If you have any more information though, that would be helpful.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,126 posts.

11-Dec-2009, 08:52 AM #4
Exporting the registry and then restoring it won't preserve your programs; you will have to reinstall them if you go this route.

Have you tried starting Windows 7 in Safe Mode ( press F8 before Windows boots) and then do a System Restore to before the problem began?
Computer Specs

11-Dec-2009, 05:50 PM #5
Smile Fixed
I fixed this by myself. Thank you everyone for the answers though! All I did was uninstall a program called RelevantKnowledge that I had never installed. I think it was a secondary program or some sort of other something... But it's fixed!
Junior Member with 3 posts.

11-Dec-2009, 09:32 PM #6
sounds like you have something simple like such as slowing down your computer, before i would get too technical i would check up your start up menu and see how many programes are starting up and running. next i find running a spyware might help but often if you are downloading and then deleting programes it leaves a lot of stuff behind that builds up and unless you want to spend a life time going through your c drive deleting stuff then you are better of going back to factory settings. i fear with 4 ram you should be flying, could be virus, malware, hope your updating your patches from windows
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
desktop, freeze, task bar, windows, windows 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!