Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Question regarding RAM

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Dec-2009, 06:03 AM #1
Question regarding RAM
Hi, I have an HP DV9894ca laptop that had windows vista 64 bit from factory. the laptop has 4gb of ram. I ended up downgrading to windows xp media center 2005 32 bit and in the computer specs it only showed up as 3gb of ram, even tho i have 4gb. So i did some research and found out 32 bit windows xp doesnt support 4 gb.

NOW, i have just recently upgraded to windows 7 ultimate 32 bit, and it is still only showing 3gb of ram, and from what i understand windows 7 32bit should be capable of 4 gb?

does anyone know how to get my computer to show all 4gb of ram in "my computer - properties"?

any help greatly appreciated
Member with 27 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Dec-2009, 06:48 AM #2
Just wondering if maybe your video card shares the RAM and would cause it to show less? What does it show in the BIOS?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
13-Dec-2009, 06:51 AM #3
No 32-bit OS can use 4 GB's. The amount you see is correct. If you update Vista to SP1, it will show 4 GB's, but still not use it.
TacticalSniper TacticalSniper is offline TacticalSniper has a Profile Picture
TacticalSniper has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 261 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Dec-2009, 07:15 AM #4
Agreed with Elvandil. 32-bit operating systems can't use 4GB RAM. It will see (and use) about 3.25GB. If you are using a 32-bit system, you are basically wasting close to 768MB of RAM.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!