Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Background music in Windows 7

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
18-Dec-2009, 10:41 AM #1
Background music in Windows 7
I just installed an upgrade from Vista home premium to 7 home premium. Periodically, background music will just start playing on its own for no apparent reason. I have to reboot to stop the music, and it's fine for a while, then it will start again. Different music each time. Never did this in Vista. I have a Dell Studio 15 laptop running Windows 7 home premium, 64 bit.
Computer Specs
Member with 193 posts.

Experience: Computer geek
18-Dec-2009, 11:45 AM #2
Just a guess, but when it starts playing again launch windows media player(see if that is what is playing it). I know that in Vista sometimes windows media player hides itself (or at least it appears to me since it is no in icon tray or anywhere else). My only guess for it auto playing is that maybe you have some hot key assigned to play music? Anyway just a thought.
Computer Specs

18-Dec-2009, 05:20 PM #3
Reply to: baackground music in Windows 7
This time when the sound started up, I was hearing commercials instead of just music. As you suggested, I launched Windows Media Player, and played a song from the library. I was hearing both sounds simultaneously. Again, I had to re-boot to get the commercials to stop.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 14 posts.

Experience: Little bit of everything.
18-Dec-2009, 06:11 PM #4
Are you an a web page or have a web page open when this happens? Some web pages have hidden commercials and music that will start up after a while. Just a thought though.
Computer Specs

19-Dec-2009, 04:24 PM #5
Background music/commercials
No, I was not in a web page. When the desktop came up, I started hearing a commercial for Mucinex. How strange!
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Dec-2009, 04:42 PM #6
Do you have a TV Tuner/FM Radio card in the system?

I'd expect an Icon to appear on the task bar if Media Center started and was playing live TV, but it may play FM Radio in the background without an Icon.

Or do you have an MP3 player connected? It may be set to play automatically if connected, though again I'd expect the Media Center icon to appear on the task bar. Wouldn't expect commercials though, but some players also have FM Radios...

Computer Specs

20-Dec-2009, 02:59 PM #7
I do not have an FM or TV card. I did a test to see if my computer was playing music that was on the computer or coming from the internet. I pushed the key that disables the wireless card (I am on a wireless router) and the music stopped. Apparently I have some kind of virus that makes an internet connection and plays music. I have Spyware Doctor, but it's not finding anything. I installed the free version of AdAware. but am having trouble with scanning. (It always freezes up during a scan, and never gets clear through a scan) I posted a separate question on the software category area, but have not gotten an answer.
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Dec-2009, 03:39 PM #8
I'd download and run both of these. Be sure to update them first:
Malwarebytes
SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition

One thought comes to mind. There used to be some AM Radio antennas within 2 miles of the house. We started hearing the radio station over the telephone. Turns out it was a bad connection that was acting like the diode in a crystal radio and demodulating the Radio signal. It's slightly possible that a bad solder joint in the wireless adapter could do the same. I wouldn't expect it to be a problem in the wireless router.
Just for grins, might try turning off the wireless router and leave the card enabled, see if you still get the music. Not too probable, but easy enough to check.

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!