Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Problems with Dell vostro 1500 after upgrading to windows 7

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Jan-2010, 05:20 PM #1
Question Problems with Dell vostro 1500 after upgrading to windows 7
I've just installed windows 7 (64 bit) on my dell vostro 1500. Everything works fine but there are 2 slight problems that are annoying me.

1. It seems like the fan is always on. What driver controls this? (so that I can get the appropriate driver or is it the BIOS that controls the fan?)

2. Also, the hard drive accesses some data for a split second every 10 seconds or so. It does this all the time even when idle or on the logon screen. Any idea why this happens?

Thanks
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

01-Jan-2010, 06:18 PM #2
1. This can be a function of the BIOS, chipset drivers, or some type of performance utility. Unfortunately Dell doesn't provide any Windows 7 drivers for that model. The most recent BIOS is from June 2008. If yours is older, you could try the update.
Computer Specs

02-Jan-2010, 09:56 AM #3
I'll try the BIOS update, how do you find out what chipset I have so that I can find the drivers for it?

Also, what do you mean by a performance utility?

Do you have any suggestions of how to fix problem no 2?

Thank You

02-Jan-2010, 10:29 AM #4
I already checked Dell's website, and there are no Windows 7 drivers. Dell, like every other manufacturer, uses customized motherboards which means you should use their drivers. Generic chipset drivers aren't likely going to resolve the issues with power management since they're not designed to function with your specific laptop.

Many laptops come with programs and utilities designed to optimize performance and power consumption which in turn control things like fan speed. Again, since Dell chose not to release Windows 7 drivers, you're out of luck. You could try the Vista downloads and see if that works.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot your second question. My hard drives have always shown steady activity, and it's never been a cause of concern. Modern operating systems have hundreds of processes and services running in the background to perform various functions. As long as everything else works fine, I don't concern myself with it.
Computer Specs

02-Jan-2010, 11:30 AM #5
Do you think it would be better to install the 32 bit version of windows 7?

02-Jan-2010, 11:33 AM #6
It doesn't matter. Dell doesn't provide drivers for any version of Windows 7 for that model.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
1500, fan, harddrive, vostro, windows7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!