Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Unable to detect workgroup

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Jan-2010, 11:46 AM #1
Unhappy Unable to detect workgroup
Just upgraded XP to Windows 7. Networking a Windows 7 laptop to a HP desktop which was XP (now Windows 7). Desktop sees laptop and files. Laptop cannot see desktop. When I change advance setting on desktop to allow others to see the drives on the desktop, it automatically reverts back and will not allow this change.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,722 posts.

05-Jan-2010, 02:09 PM #2
Can you ping by IP address both directions? By Computer (Host) name?

Side question: if these are the only computers on your network have you considered using Windows 7's Homegroup? I only have one Windows 7 so haven't tried it, but others have raved about how easy and nice it is.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,323 posts.

05-Jan-2010, 05:59 PM #3
Also you do have to turn on File and Printer Sharing for on both computers.
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.

Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
05-Jan-2010, 07:42 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHOE3745 View Post
Just upgraded XP to Windows 7. Networking a Windows 7 laptop to a HP desktop which was XP (now Windows 7). Desktop sees laptop and files. Laptop cannot see desktop. When I change advance setting on desktop to allow others to see the drives on the desktop, it automatically reverts back and will not allow this change.
Normally, Win7 will create a homegroup during setup, but you may have a situation where both computers have created a homegroup, or the network location on one or both computers may be set incorrectly. MS provides a troubleshooting guide that works for most common problems.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

12-Jan-2010, 09:16 PM #5
The group name on both computers is the same. When I go to the advance settings and set the choices to discover networks, it reverts back when I save the setting.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!