Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Cant Install HP Officejet 4315

(!)

Member with 234 posts.

Experience: Beginner
05-Jan-2010, 10:03 PM #1
Solved: Cant Install HP Officejet 4315
Hi,
Im having some trouble installing an Officejet 4315 onto Windows 7 64bit.
It worked fine on the previous XP machine.

The things i have tried:
1. Plugging into usb port and letting Windows install it itself.
I thought this was going to work, drivers install for 4/5 items, but one item fails, 4300 series or something.

2. Installing the Vista 64bit drivers directly from the cd.
This says it is installing them but doesnt do anything.

3. Installing drivers via the C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository directory.
This option files two drivers, but both time out.

4. Running the setup.exe off the Vista CD.
This works for a moment, but always hangs at the same point, product registration or information.
This has happened twice. If i let the exe detect the printer and also if i select detect device later.

5. Installing the HP 4300 update via Windows Update.
This fails to install with an unknown error.

The only thing i can of trying is running the .exe in Vista mode, but i doubt that will change anything.
Anyone else got any ideas?
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.

Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
05-Jan-2010, 10:39 PM #2
HP doesn't provide a full set of drivers for your product under Win7 64. Windows 7 includes support for basic functions only. Here is how to set up the device.
Member with 234 posts.

06-Jan-2010, 08:44 AM #3
Hi,
Step 1 in the orignal post, is the solution you just mentioned. It will not install all the drivers this way and therefore not install the printer.

I have attached a screenshot to show the drivers trying to install.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Cant Install HP Officejet 4315-drivers.jpg  
Member with 234 posts.

21-Jan-2010, 12:51 PM #4
Solved by HP support with the information below. Suprised because i already tried this. The only difference was i selected USB first and HP said choose LPT then change to USB once is was installed.

1. Make sure that the USB cable is not connected to the product. If the USB cable is connected to the product, disconnect it.
2. From the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ), and then click Devices and Printers . The Devices and Printers window opens.
3. Click Add a printer . The Add Printer window opens.
4. Click Add a local printer .
5. Click Use an existing port .
6. Click the Use an existing port drop-down list, select LPT1: (Printer Port) , and then click Next .
7. Under Manufacturer in the Install the printer driver window, clickon WINDOWS UPDATE
8. This will then get all the drivers for all the printers and there you will find the 3600
9. In the Devices and Printers window, right-click the name of the product and then click Printer Properties . The Printer Properties window opens.
10. Click the Ports tab.
11. Click the drop down menu, and then change the port from LPT1 to USB or DOT4
12. Click OK
Please take note of the following

If there is more than one USB/DOT4 port available, select the USB/DOT4 port with the highest port number. To see the full port name, widen the ports row in the Properties dialog box by placing the cursor over the vertical line between Port and Description , and then click and hold the mouse button. Move the mouse to the right until the port name is visible.
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.

Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
21-Jan-2010, 08:30 PM #5
Just curious, but did HP Support happen to explain why they had you use a different installation method than what they post on their support site? If the answer is "no", I wouldn't be surprised since this is HP, but still gotta ask.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!