Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: C Drive mysteriously filling up, PLEASE HELP!

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Mar-2010, 11:56 AM #1
Angry Solved: C Drive mysteriously filling up, PLEASE HELP!
I have just bought my new Windows 7 computer about 4 months ago. Then one day when I was monitoring how much space my C Drive took, I noticed it was less than the amount I saw yesterday. ( I did not download or update anything) Thinking this would probably go away, I didn't do anything. Yesterday my C Drive was 872 GB free of 919 GB, now when I checked this morning, it went to 871 GB free of 919 GB. I have seen other posts of this question, but they were all for XP or Vista. Please help me I do not know what to do, I don't want my newly bought computer to be slowing down already.

Note: I am not very experienced in computers so it would help me a lot if your instructions were step by step, literally.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 736 posts.

04-Mar-2010, 01:32 PM #2
I wouldn't sweat over 1GB. And it's probably less than that- if you were on the high side of 871.xx GB free and now are on the low side, due to rounding it looks like 1GB disappeared when in fact it could have been a few KB.

If everything seems to be working just fine I'd not worry. Windows does tons of stuff in the background that we can't see, like making System Restore points, that will add/remove free disk space even if you aren't doing anything with the machine.

If you see 1GB a day disappear for weeks in a row then you can worry.
Member with 99 posts.

04-Mar-2010, 07:53 PM #3
Everytime you're on the Internet, there are files accumulating on your hard drive. Most of them are meant to help you load Webpages faster the next time you go to that specific Website. Most of these files can be safely deleted to keep your hard drive free of clutter. There are two programs that I use frequently:

ATF Cleaner:
http://www.atribune.org/index.php?op...d=25&Itemid=25

CCleaner:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

Both are very simple to use. Once you've installed ATF Cleaner, open the program and check the bottom box (Select All) and then the "Empty Selected" button. I use this every day to clean my hard drive of unneccesary files.

In CCleaner, install the program, open it, and click "Analyze" at the bottom. Let it quickly scan, and when finished, hit "Run Cleaner." Then on the left, click the "Registry" button and then "Scan for Issues" at the bottom. Click "Fix Selected Issues" at the bottom. I don't bother making a restore point at its prompting, but it's up to you.

These simple programs will keep your hard drive clean and should help Windows run a little quicker.
Moderator with 63,203 posts.

04-Mar-2010, 07:58 PM #4
flush your restore points. I'll put a LOT of cash that that's where it's going.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 736 posts.

04-Mar-2010, 08:01 PM #5
I'd like to counter one suggestion that Darklightr made:

Do not, under any circumstances, use any registry "cleaner" or repair tool.

They don't fix anything- instead they cause problems, many of which only creep on you later. Check out this TSG thread:

Registry Cleaners
http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-...y-cleaner.html
Computer Specs
Member with 112 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Mar-2010, 08:32 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Window7 View Post
I have just bought my new Windows 7 computer about 4 months ago. Then one day when I was monitoring how much space my C Drive took, I noticed it was less than the amount I saw yesterday. ( I did not download or update anything) Thinking this would probably go away, I didn't do anything. Yesterday my C Drive was 872 GB free of 919 GB, now when I checked this morning, it went to 871 GB free of 919 GB. I have seen other posts of this question, but they were all for XP or Vista. Please help me I do not know what to do, I don't want my newly bought computer to be slowing down already.

Note: I am not very experienced in computers so it would help me a lot if your instructions were step by step, literally.

Thanks in advance for the help.
What AntiVirus program are you using?
AVG Free - fills the HDD is why I ask.
I use Regcleaners all the time, I also use Defrag all the time, and Regcompators are the time....
guess the ones I use a AOK because I have never had a problem...

Last edited by Snuffy1; 04-Mar-2010 at 08:58 PM..

04-Mar-2010, 09:30 PM #7
Thank you for your prompt responses.

Despite what others say, I still believe something bad has happened to my C Drive. It is now at 873 GB because of the Registry Cleaner I deleted, advised by you guys . I have Avast AV and this has been going on for a week now. I've just deleted my Registry Cleaner that took up 3 GB memory and I'll notify you guys if that fixed the problem.

04-Mar-2010, 09:41 PM #8
again, flush your restore points. Windows, period, takes up a LOT of space with those unless you tell it not to. W7, as it's a larger package, requires even more space. Dump the restore points and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

and stay the heck away from registry 'cleaners'.

"Ask Bill why the string in function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that". - Gary Kildall
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

04-Mar-2010, 09:50 PM #9
Right click on Computer (from the star menu) hit properties, go to System Restore. Turn it off.
As you uninstall software, etc... System restore still saves that info. Also empty the trash.

You could also use Space Monger ( www.download.com ) to see where data is on your HD. To see better, click off the "display free space".

04-Mar-2010, 10:18 PM #10
@Valis
Is deleting my restore points safe. I've read other posts saying they may be needed for some files to run correctly. Also, if I am to delete them where do I go? Please give me some step by step instructions.
@Compiler
I've heard from my friend that using system restore will restart your computer to become how it was when you first bought it. With the pictures I've uploaded and games downloaded, I don't want them deleted. Is there any other option?

04-Mar-2010, 10:37 PM #11
yes, it's perfectly safe. Once you turn off your restore points, you flush all the old ones. If you have yours at the default, 12%, you are going to be filling up a lot of space in a hurry. I keep mine at 2%, as I reckon I only need a few weeks of restore points.

Once you turn it back on, it automatically creates a restore point then and there. Or, if you wish, you can create your own after you flush them.

That's by far and away the easiest way to free up large chunks of space. That, and ATF.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,855 posts.

04-Mar-2010, 10:39 PM #12
Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. I've built over 600 computers.

System restore keeps a saves settings and various little files in case there is a problem with your computer. Sometimes it works... sometimes it don't. If your computer runs fine, its less needed. I don't usually run with it... and I save a backup file of my boot drive anyway. Your system restore is kind of like a junk-file of your system... it can grow to 5~50GB depending on your hard drive size... ouch!

When you TURN off system restore... it removes the file.

And after a while... you can't restore your computer to like how it was BRAND new. that requires using recover discs or installing fresh, from scratch.

System restore doesn't save anything that is your personal files. Just Windows system files and programs, drivers, etc.

Also, lets say you get a VIRUS... and your System Restore saves that Virus. Then you clean out your PC with the virus, but its in your system restore file..!! hence, System restore is compromised and has to be flushed.

You can turn it ON and OFF when needed.
So if you're going to install some questionable software or a service pack, then it maybe a good idea to turn it on.

04-Mar-2010, 10:42 PM #13
well, it saves your personal files.........I guess a better way to say it would be that it doesn't CARE about your personal files. It's only worried about what you mentioned, the files, apps, drivers, etc........

and btw, I've never had the damn thing work in regular mode. Always had to go into safe mode and then I run about 60%. As JW says, data you don't have backed up is data you don't want anyhow.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

05-Mar-2010, 02:47 AM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Window7 View Post
@Valis
Is deleting my restore points safe. I've read other posts saying they may be needed for some files to run correctly. Also, if I am to delete them where do I go? Please give me some step by step instructions.
@Compiler
I've heard from my friend that using system restore will restart your computer to become how it was when you first bought it. With the pictures I've uploaded and games downloaded, I don't want them deleted. Is there any other option?
Your friend is talking about the Restore feature that comes with some computers, and he's correct.
We're talking about System Restore, which is a different program and will not delete your files.

05-Mar-2010, 08:19 PM #15
Okay so after I deleted my Registry Cleaner and freed up some space, I thought that fixed my problem. I've recently checked my C Drive and it has again dropped back down that 3 GB I just cleared. Can you please give me some step by step instructions on how to "flush" my restore points? I can't find out where to go to flush it :\.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!