Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

how to troubleshoot IRQ conflicts in win 7

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Apr-2010, 11:08 AM #1
how to troubleshoot IRQ conflicts in win 7
I have recently upgraded my workstation to windows 7 professional. Whenever I try to shut down or reboot I immediately get the BSOD. My systems admin guy said it looked like an IRQ issue but he hasn't had the time to look into it. I also noticed that occassionally when I turn of an external mixer that is connected via USB as my main sound card that it too will give me the BSOD. I don't know if they're related or not. How can I troubleshoot this? Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 45,855 posts.

Experience: I know when to fold em'
01-Apr-2010, 11:25 AM #2
The BSOD explanations can be confusing. IRQs are set at the time of installation and there is no practical way to change this, except possibly by changing the slots a particular card is installed to.

However the problem is not likely to be an actual IRQ conflict (you can run msinfo32 and look for forced hardware and conflicts/sharing to check this. Many IRQs are "shared", this does not necessarily mean a conflict.).

You might want to physically disconnect any unnecessary hardware for a test, as well as trying a "Clean Boot" >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Looking at the "Action Center" may also provide additional data as to what problems Windows thinks it has >> http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...ility-monitor/

The external USB sound device may indeed be a problem -- as I have seen these produce so-called "Power State" failures. I would look into seeing whether there is an updated firmware BIOS available for the device.

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

If you do not see any minidumps, be sure you are not using any cache cleaner such as CCleaner. Also run sysdm.cpl and select Advanced > Startup and Recovery. Make sure "small memory dump" is the one chosen under "write debugging information" and the location should be %systemroot%\minidump

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

On Vista and Win7 you can run mdsched.exe -- once rebooted to the scanner press F1 for Advanced options and run the "extended" tests.

Another, some think better, program that can be used on all operating systems is memtest86

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 01-Apr-2010 at 11:31 AM..
Account Disabled with 6,319 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Apr-2010, 11:26 AM #3
Sounds like you may have an incompatable driver for the audio hardware.
Shut the computer down,disconnect the external audio hardware,then
boot back up and see if you still have the problem with the shutdown.
If not,you may want to check for an updated driver on the audio hardware
manufacturers web site.
Computer Specs

01-Apr-2010, 04:10 PM #4
Thanks Rog. Here's the last 3 dump files. I'll check out the memory too. I did notice that when I turned off my sound card's mixer and then rebooted and shut down it didn't crash. I've updated the latest drivers for it and also the firmware but that doesn't seem to help. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip dump.zip (110.6 KB, 9 views)
Computer Specs

02-Apr-2010, 11:46 AM #5
You have an unknown driver causing the fault; typically these are rootkit trojans -- but the "wdm" in one of the file names and the fact that it is not "polymorphic" (doesn't change from boot to boot), may indicate some association with "windows driver model" technologies (possibly used by the audio device).

Quote:
BugCheck 3B, {c0000046, fffff80002af87f8, fffff880078a9720, 0}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fw1082x64.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Fw1082x64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for Fw1082x64.sys
Probably caused by : Fw1082x64.sys ( Fw1082x64+72b0 )
Also: Unable to verify timestamp for FW1082Wdmx64.sys

lmvm Fw1082x64
start end module name
fffff880`05f9d000 fffff880`05fd4e00 Fw1082x64 T (no symbols)
Loaded symbol image file: Fw1082x64.sys
Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fw1082x64.sys
Image name: Fw1082x64.sys
Timestamp: Thu Feb 12 10:56:56 2009 (499470F8)

http://www.google.com/search?client=...utf-8&oe=utf-8

http://www.google.com/search?client=...utf-8&oe=utf-8

By the way is this a 32 or 64 bit version of Win7 that you have? The driver version seems to be for 64 bit.
Attached Files
File Type: txt bugchecktxt.txt (9.3 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Rollin' Rog; 02-Apr-2010 at 11:51 AM..
Computer Specs

02-Apr-2010, 02:03 PM #6
Thanks. It is definitely the soundcard driver. They use WDM. I've contacted the manufacturer and they said they should have windows 7 drivers within 30 days so I guess I'll just wait until then. It's windows 7 professional 64 bit. Thanks again.
Computer Specs

03-Apr-2010, 11:35 AM #7
Good to get some kind of answer for that. Still I'm surprised their drivers do not show a single hit in a search engine -- must be a very rare device without too much of a marketplace.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!