Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: I cannot create a new folder

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Apr-2010, 06:15 PM #1
Solved: I cannot create a new folder
I have had this problem twice now and it is a pain. My HP 64 computer is about 2 weeks old and I cannot create a new folder on the desk top or in documents. It worked when new and it worked again after I did a system restore. Now that will not correct it. When I right click the desk top a option screen comes up with: Shortcut, bitmap image, contact etc. There is no folder option. Help!
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,233 posts.

06-Apr-2010, 08:46 PM #2
Click HERE To Download Folderfix and download folderfix.zip now press Windows key + R type in the box regedit Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder Right click on the Folder on the left pane, and then select Export to backup this registry key. Now Right click on Folderfix.zip and extract the folderfix.reg file. Right click on the folderfix.reg file and then click Merge. Click Yes to confirm the modification. Restart.

Attached Thumbnails
Solved: I cannot create a new folder-1.gif  

Last edited by Lance1; 07-Apr-2010 at 07:21 PM..
Computer Specs

06-Apr-2010, 09:09 PM #3
I cannot create new folder
Hi Lance Thanks for getting back to me. U went as fare as "export" but in the next step I could not find folderfix.zip. Sorry, I looked any where I thought it could be but I probably did not look in the right place. Thanks, Chuck
Computer Specs
Member with 5,233 posts.

06-Apr-2010, 09:20 PM #4
Did you go to the site and download the file? Click on my link and download it and follow the instructions.

Attached Thumbnails
Solved: I cannot create a new folder-2.gif  
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,386 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Apr-2010, 10:53 AM #5
Lance1,
You "Here" link is NOT very easy to see, I even had problems finding your link.
Computer Specs

08-Apr-2010, 09:27 AM #6
Hi Sorry it took so long to get back to this issue. You solved my problem. Your instructions were very clear and now I have a way to create new folders. I tried this forum as a last resort. I had 2 chat sessions with HP and they finally told me I would need to reinstall my operating system and I would lose all my past settings and programs. I did not want to do that. Thanks again, Chuck
Computer Specs
Member with 5,233 posts.

08-Apr-2010, 09:11 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jansenc View Post
Hi Sorry it took so long to get back to this issue. You solved my problem. Your instructions were very clear and now I have a way to create new folders. I tried this forum as a last resort. I had 2 chat sessions with HP and they finally told me I would need to reinstall my operating system and I would lose all my past settings and programs. I did not want to do that. Thanks again, Chuck
Chuck! Explain what you did to resolve your problem for the benefit of others.
Computer Specs

08-Apr-2010, 10:23 PM #8
I will do the best I can. I followed your instructions until I got to right click on folderfix.zip. I did not find the folderfix so I just put folderfix.zip in the box on the bottom and hoped for the best. I am not sure if that is what did it because I downloaded folderfix a number of times and never saw it listed. Just some of the files I have on my computer. Out of frrustration I right clicked on the desk top and I found I could create a folder. Sorry I could not be any clearer but I was just doing anything I could think of. The next step would be reinstalling the operating system. Thanks, Chuck
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!