Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Missing ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS

(!)

Member with 512 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Apr-2010, 09:26 AM #1
Solved: Missing ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS
I am the administrator, at least it says I am on the Windows 7 startup window. When I try to imunize in Spy-Bot it says I am missing administrator rights. I have tried right clicking on progam in start menu but the "Run as administrator" is not there. How do I correct this? Somewhere I read you have to have another name in your administrator account, but how do I add a name?
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,270 posts.

14-Apr-2010, 12:09 AM #2
Right click any shortcut outside the the start menu, or the program itself (probably C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe). Then click run as administrator.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 1,427 posts.

Experience: Get all things wrecked up
14-Apr-2010, 05:21 AM #3
Dont know and sorry to interrupt,
but is S&D Windows 7 compitable?
Member with 512 posts.

14-Apr-2010, 01:40 PM #4
I checked the Spy Bot web page and said Windows 7 needs administrator rights. But when I right click it as Ent advised, I am given no options to run as anything, let alone administrator.
Computer Specs

15-Apr-2010, 05:38 AM #5
Try runnin it from the hidden admin account
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

15-Apr-2010, 04:56 PM #6
What version of Windows 7?
32 or 64 bit?
Was Run as administrator previously visible and has disappeared, or is this the first time you've looked for it?
Try SHIFT+Right clicking the shortcut. That should add Run as different user and Copy as Path to the list.
It may add the Run as administrator as well.

If Run as different user is there, that will display a logon box to enter a user name and password. If the Real Administrator account is enabled you can use it in this box
Member with 512 posts.

15-Apr-2010, 06:15 PM #7
It is 32 bit. I have looked for it before, mostly when Spy-Bot was updating and I was getting the message that it needed administrator rights. I did as you suggested, right click while holding shift key, got the "copy to path" option and it did place run as administrator in the drop down so thank you for coming to my rescue.
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

15-Apr-2010, 11:06 PM #8
That's normally displayed without having to hold shift. We can probably change that if you want. Let me know if you do.
Computer Specs

16-Apr-2010, 05:48 AM #9
4dsmom ,please let us know how the problem was solved.......
Best of Luck and Cheers
Member with 512 posts.

16-Apr-2010, 10:49 AM #10
Outcaste and Antec
Outcaste
I would like to know how to do this without using the shift key, IF it doesn't involve editing the registry. I don't mess with that. It is beyond my abilities. LoL

Antec
I did as Outcaste suggested "Try SHIFT+Right clicking the shortcut. That should add Run as different user and Copy as Path to the list." It aded copy to path and when I clikced on that I could choose run as administrator. I have to do it each time I open the Spy-Bot though. It doesn't stay on the list.
I really do appreciate all of the help you techs give me.
A Big Thank You to all
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

16-Apr-2010, 09:44 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dsmom View Post
I did as Outcaste suggested "Try SHIFT+Right clicking the shortcut. That should add Run as different user and Copy as Path to the list." It aded copy to path and when I clikced on that I could choose run as administrator.
This has me confused. You click on Copy as Path, and that gives another Popup menu that has Run as Administrator? Or did you mean you can click on Run as different user instead of Copy as Path?

So the Run as Administrator option itself still doesn't appear when you Shift+Right click?

This will involve the registry, though most likely it can be done with .reg files you can just double click to merge into the registry.

First let's take a look at a few of the current settings.
Copy the text in the following code block into Notepad.
Save it on the desktop as Query.cmd. Be sure to change the Save as Type: box to All Files when saving.
Code:
Set _file=%userprofile%\Desktop\Query.txt
 > "%_file%" Echo [CODE]
>> "%_file%" Reg Query "HKCR\batfile" /s
>> "%_file%" Reg Query "HKCR\cmdfile" /s
>> "%_file%" Reg Query "HKCR\cplfile" /s
>> "%_file%" Reg Query "HKCR\exefile" /s
>> "%_file%" Reg Query "HKCR\mscfile" /s
>> "%_file%" Reg Query "HKCR\LSID\{6DFD7C5C-2451-11d3-A299-00C04F8EF6AF}" /s
>> "%_file%" Reg Query "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /s
>> "%_file%" Echo [/CODE]
Start Notepad "%_file%"
Exit
Double click the file to run it. It will create a file named Query.txt on the Desktop and open it in Notepad. Copy and paste all of the text into your next Reply.
Member with 512 posts.

17-Apr-2010, 09:54 PM #12
Outcaste
Not half as confused as I am. yesterday when a wrote "When I did SHIFT+Right clicking the shortcut. That should add Run as different user and Copy as Path to the list." It added copy to path and when I clicked on that I could choose run as administrator. I have to do it each time I open the Spy-Bot though. It doesn't stay on the list." That is what was happening. today after reading your response I decided to take another look to see if I was wrong. Now when I hold shift and right click, I get Run As.. as an option. When clicking on it I get the attached jpg.
I am back to where I started per my first post on this subject. Copy to path and Run as different user are not there.
Before I do what you want me to do above, I would like to know if it is going to "mess" with my registry, as I stated above I am afraid to do anything to it. If you still want me to I will do a restore point and do it after you answer.
Thanks for putting up with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Missing ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS-run-.jpg  
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,476 posts.

17-Apr-2010, 10:02 PM #13
The file in post # 11 will only query (display the value of) a few registry entries. It makes no changes.

If he later gives you a .reg file that will be the time to create a Restore Point.
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

18-Apr-2010, 05:56 AM #14
The screenshot you show is the Run As screen as you would see on Win XP. The context menu on Xp says just Run As..., not Run as administrator.

Is this a Dual Boot setup, and you perhaps were booted into XP instead of Win 7?

And as Terry said, this file just reads some settings, doesn't make any changes.
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,270 posts.

18-Apr-2010, 08:59 AM #15
I appreciate that the best solution will involve registry editting. But if 4dsmom feels so unsure about that, might it not be possible to create a seperate program to launch Spybot which will itself be launched with Admin privileges. That is create a batch file, a shortcut to "Cmd /C "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe", or an exe that fires a single "Shell" command before executing. Any of these could presumably be launched with admin priviledges.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!