Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Windows 7 installation unable to create partition

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Apr-2010, 01:43 PM #1
Solved: Windows 7 installation unable to create partition
Hi there,

I am trying to update the OS running on my assembled desktop from Windows XP to Windows 7 x64. Unfortunately my DVD drive has gone kaput, so I am using a USB image to install. The HDD that I am trying to install Windows 7 on is an IDE. Before starting the installation, I disconnected the second HDD (SATA) because it seems to be a potential cause of a problem during installation.

I have already deleted the original XP partition along with a couple of others and created a new, merged partition for the OS for the unallocated space (around 35 GB). However, the installation does not proceed and I get an error message saying "Setup unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing....".

I have been searching for a solution to this all day and I believe the problem might be occurring because all the partitions existing on this IDE drive are logical (except a freak partition of 8 MB that I was forced to create while installing XP a couple of years back!). Perhaps I need to use a utility like DISKPART to manually create a primary partition.

The major issue is that since I already deleted the XP partition, there is no simple way that I can find to do this. I cannot use Partition Magic or any other software that has to be run from inside windows before restarting. I tried to circumvent this by booting via another USB drive on which a package called WliveUSB was installed, which allows me to run something called Bart PE. Somehow I cannot run DISKPART from this environment either and since most of the interface is in German I am having problems figuring out what the issue is this time.

Looking for any suggestions, solutions or any easier ways to run DISKPART / an alternate software to help me create a primary partition manually...please help!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,016 posts.

13-Apr-2010, 04:46 PM #2
GParted is pretty good. I've used it on a bootable CD, and there is a USB version. I think you want to mark the partition (on which Windows 7 will be installed) as Active (or "boot" or "system"; I forget which term GParted uses).

13-Apr-2010, 04:52 PM #3
Thanks a lot for replying.

Ya I found out about GParted, am currently downloading the Live version which is supposed to run off a USB key. Will take some time to download, will update if it works for me.

*fingers crossed*

14-Apr-2010, 11:11 AM #4
Phew...problem solved!

Used GParted to create a new primary partition and finally the Win 7 installer was able to use it. Seems like an obvious solution but the complication (as I understand it now) was that the unallocated space (created by deleting 2 logical partitions) created earlier lied within the extended partition and hence any new partition I tried to create from that space was forced to be a logical partition. Had to shrink the extended partition first by the amount of unallocated space and then I was able to create the new partition as a primary one.

GParted is really cool, an excellent interface and ran perfectly from the USB drive.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!