Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install

(!)

Senior Member with 4,117 posts.

Experience: Still Learning
17-Apr-2010, 12:29 AM #1
Exclamation Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install
I have a customer's Satellite L305D S5895 laptop. This was shipped to me by the customer who tried to install Windows XP Pro, Vista and none would install. He said he tried all installation CDs he had and finally gave up on it and shipped it to me.

When I got it the partition were deleted so I tried to install Win 7 and when I do doing a custom install I get an error saying the hard drive can't be formatted on disk 0 or it will give an error that no hard drives were found.

I reset the bios to default and no matter what I do it won't format or find the harddrive. I was going to upgrade the bios but the only way I found to upgrade the bios is after windows is installed. There is no way to make changes to the bios for settings that would have to do with the hard drive. This has a Toshiba MK2546GSX (S1) hard drive.

When installing Win 7 I get the normal windows, "windows is starting", "Select Language", "Select System", "Type of install", "Custom Install", "Delete partitions", "New Partitions", "Format", then the error message "Windows cannot format a partition on disk 0. Error: 0x80070057"

This happens regardless what system I try to install. I've tried two different versions of XP, one of Vista and 3 Win 7 and each time a different install CD.

System Specs
AMD Turion (TM) 64 x 2 Mobile CPU
CPU Speed 2.00 GHz
Toshiba MK2546GSX (S1) hard drive
Pioneer DVD-RW DurkD08l (PM) Optical Disk Drive
3072 Memory
System Bios Version 1.7

Anyone got any ideas on this laptop so I can get a system installed. I checked the bios and there is no settings for a sata drive, raid drive or IDE drive so it looks like this version can't be changed.

Thanks for anyone who can help.

Rick
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 1,427 posts.

Experience: Get all things wrecked up
17-Apr-2010, 10:27 AM #2
Corrupted Hard Disk.
Might be failing....
Computer Specs
Member with 718 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Apr-2010, 10:57 AM #3
Can you try formatting the drive when living as a slave in a different machine?

Make sure a good connecting; firmly seated.

How do you know it's a Toshiba MK2546GSX (S1) hard drive ? Does Setup detect it? If BIOS does not detect it then that's your starting point. Try disabling AHCI if present in BIOS.

17-Apr-2010, 11:48 AM #4
I took the drive and connected it to my desktop using USB and can do anything I want with the drive, partition it, format it, one time it wouldn't allow me to format the drive but I think that is because it was larger than 137 MB, once I partitioned it to 119 MB and 119 MB with two partition it formatted with no problems. This desktop is a Win XP Pro and I believe because of the system on this desktop is why it wouldn't allow me to format the full drive as one partition.

Toshiba MK2546GSX (S1) is what the bios shows, first second this is what is written on the drive itself. Can't disable AHCI in BIOS, not listed and there are no settings for the hard drive that can be changed.

Now I called Toshiba Tech support this morning for all the good it did me and they are trying to tell me that no driver is needed for the system to be installed. They also tried to tell me that the drive has to have a system on it before it will install Win 7 and I tried to tell the man it did not because I was using a full install of windows 7.

Now the DVD I am using to install the system I have used on two other boxes and it installed with out any problems so sure doesn't look like it is the DVD install disc.

I wanted to run a test on the drive to see if it was good but Toshiba doesn't have a program to test it so the tech tried to tell me. I'd like to run a test on it but looks like I might not be able to.

A new drive is $65 so taking it to a repair shop to test it would be foolish for around here they charge $60 just to test one.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

17-Apr-2010, 01:04 PM #5
If Windows 7 cannot see the drive it is because the drive controller on the motherboard is not included in the Windows 7 listing of controllers. In other words, Windows 7 has no drive controller to load since the controller on the motherboard is not recognized.

For example, an Intel ICH5 SATA controller is not in Windows 7's list of SATA controllers. In order to install Windows 7 on such a motherboard, one must install a driver for the SATA controller during the installation, or disable SATA in BIOS before the installation. That particular SATA controller chip is too old for Windows 7, but the IDE controller is recognized and the appropriate driver is loaded.

I think your issue is with the motherboard hard drive controller, not the hard drive itself. Try researching it from that angle.

17-Apr-2010, 03:28 PM #6
You could be correct but this laptop had Vista on it from new and if Vista didn't have a problem then win 7 shouldn't should it?

I've tried all systems from Windows XP Pro to Vista Home, to Win 7 Ultimate and all do the same thing. All give the same error message. I'm trying to find a program that will test this drive for me but so far I haven't found any but if I can that would tell me if it is the drive itself.

Thanks for the reply, all help on this one is greatly appreciated...
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

17-Apr-2010, 03:30 PM #7

17-Apr-2010, 03:35 PM #8
Thank you for the link but I can't afford this program. I can buy a new drive for $65 and that includes shipping but thanks for the suggestion.

17-Apr-2010, 03:42 PM #9
I thought you were running a business. It's pretty inexpensive for a great diagnostic program, and you could write it off as a business expense.

There's obviously nothing wrong with the hard drive since it's completely usable connected to another computer. Buying a new hard drive would be a total waste of money.

17-Apr-2010, 03:45 PM #10
I'm not a business. I don't get paid for what I do, I do what I do to help others and because God commands us to help each other.

17-Apr-2010, 03:47 PM #11
You referred to the person you're helping as a "customer". Generally people use that term to mean an actual business relationship.

17-Apr-2010, 03:52 PM #12
Well you are correct there but I've been doing this for a while now and I used to charge a little to cover my expenses but I quit charging because a lot of the people I work for can't afford to fix their computers.

When someone gives me a computer I fix them up and give them to students or people who can't afford a computer. Most times when I work on a computer I end up taking money out of my pocket so I can help those who have less than I do.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

17-Apr-2010, 05:06 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkselby98 View Post
You could be correct but this laptop had Vista on it from new and if Vista didn't have a problem then win 7 shouldn't should it?

I've tried all systems from Windows XP Pro to Vista Home, to Win 7 Ultimate and all do the same thing. All give the same error message. I'm trying to find a program that will test this drive for me but so far I haven't found any but if I can that would tell me if it is the drive itself.

Thanks for the reply, all help on this one is greatly appreciated...
Is this or is this not a SATA drive? If it is a SATA drive and Windows 7 does not have a driver for the motherboard integrated SATA controller, Windows 7 will not see the drive. As I said, Windows 7 will not see a SATA drive attached to an Intel ICH5 controller if the BIOS has it set for SATA. Windows 7 will, however, see the drive if the controller is set in BIOS in IDE mode. I don't know about Vista; I skipped that one. I didn't see enough in Vista to warrant the expense of the OS. I don't buy off-the-shelf PC's (except for my laptop); I build my own.

If you can put this drive in a USB enclosure and access the drive OK through USB, then you don't have a problem with the drive. Windows 7 has a problem with the motherboard controller that this drive is connected to. It doesn't really matter whether Windows Vista had a problem with it or not, you are talking about Windows 7. I do know that Windows 7 will accept some Vista drivers, but it does not necessarily have those drivers available in the setup DVD. I'm using a Vista driver for the graphics on my laptop, but I had to download and install it from the manufacturer.

You either need to find a driver for the controller that is compatible with Windows 7, or find a way to set the BIOS to access the drive through IDE (ATA).

Last edited by bbearren; 17-Apr-2010 at 05:14 PM..

17-Apr-2010, 05:18 PM #14
It is a SATA drive. My problem with this is Vista came on this computer and there really isn't that much difference between Vista and Win 7. Win 7 was built off of Vista so if the controller worked for Vista it should work for Win 7 shouldn't it?

What the BIOS is set for I don't know, below is an image of the BIOS in this laptop, maybe you can tell more than I can.

Now not sure where to find the controller you are talking about or how to install it. Any suggestions

One last thing, when I was talking to Toshiba this morning they told me Win 7 should go right in without needing any drivers. Now I have to admit I wasn't to impressed with their tech help but this is what I was told. Now I remember why I hate hardware problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install-100_0894.jpg  

Last edited by rkselby98; 17-Apr-2010 at 05:25 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 3,732 posts.

17-Apr-2010, 05:41 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkselby98 View Post
It is a SATA drive. My problem with this is Vista came on this computer and there really isn't that much difference between Vista and Win 7. Win 7 was built off of Vista so if the controller worked for Vista it should work for Win 7 shouldn't it?
Every piece of hardware (both real and virtual) requires a driver to interface with the OS. During installation the OS polls the hardware for signatures, then looks within its store of drivers for a driver compatible with the hardware signature and installs it if it finds one. The relevant difference between Vista and Windows 7 in this instance is that Vista evidently had a driver available in the installation DVD, and Windows 7 does not have a driver available in the installation DVD. The Vista driver will probably work in Windows 7, but you must procure the driver, since Windows 7 doesn't seem to have it in its store of drivers for installation.

I would suggest searching the Toshiba site for drivers/downloads for the particular model of laptop you are working on and look for SATA drivers specific for that laptop.

As for the BIOS, use the arrow keys to access the "Advanced" part of the BIOS and then check out the peripheral settings and/or the drive settings.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!