Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Bootmgr is missing from USB

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Apr-2010, 05:07 PM #1
Unhappy Bootmgr is missing from USB
Another staff member built a bootable USB drive for me that I could use to load new images on our laptops. I used it once successfully to load Windows 7 onto a laptop, but after that I keep getting the "bootmgr is missing" message when I try to boot from the USB. I don't know what I did. Is there a way to make it bootable without destroying all of the files that are still on this drive? Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 697 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Apr-2010, 05:20 PM #2
Quote:
Step 2: Make the Drive Bootable
Next well use the bootsect utility that comes on the Vista or Windows 7 disk to make the flash drive bootable. In the same command window that you were using in Step 1:
  1. Insert your Windows Vista / 7 DVD into your drive.
  2. Change directory to the DVDs boot directory where bootsect lives:
    d:
    cd d:\boot
  3. Use bootsect to set the USB as a bootable NTFS drive prepared for a Vista/7 image. Im assuming that your USB flash drive has been labeled disk G:\ by the computer:
    bootsect /nt60 g:
  4. You can now close the command prompt window, were done here.

http://kmwoley.com/blog/?p=345
Computer Specs

25-Apr-2010, 04:22 PM #3
Still getting "Bootmgr is missing" on USB
Helpful,

I tried what you suggested, but I'm still getting the same message when I try to boot from the USB drive. Any other ideas that I might try?

Thank you.
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,224 posts.

25-Apr-2010, 07:14 PM #4
Try this method---> Installing Windows XP Using A USB Flash Drive Although this is for XP, it should work with Windows 7 as well.
Computer Specs

26-Apr-2010, 08:18 AM #5
Please remember that I said in my original post that I want to keep all of the files that are currently on the USB drive. I successfully used this USB drive to build a Windows 7 laptop, but something I did now caused the USB drive not to boot so I get the "Bootmgr is missing" error. I don't remember what I did, but what I need to do is try to make the drive bootable without getting rid of the files on it. Thank you.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 1,427 posts.

Experience: Get all things wrecked up
26-Apr-2010, 10:08 AM #6
Check out this Link:
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-in...working-guide/

I think I help you in some way or the other lol
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,102 posts.

26-Apr-2010, 02:15 PM #7
Are you getting the "missing" message on the same PC with which you had success? If not, are you sure the computer you are now using is able to boot from USB and is really trying to boot from it? The point behind these questions is that I'm wondering if there is a problem with your USB drive, or if there is a computer issue.
Computer Specs

26-Apr-2010, 02:42 PM #8
The error is occurring on three different Dell laptops. When I power each up, I press the F12 key until I get the screen with the boot drive selection. I choose USB on each of them and right away the "missing" message occurs. This USB drive did work at one point because it allowed me to boot up WinPE and download a Windows 7 image to a new laptop. Sometime during or after that, I must have done something stupid which destroyed whatever allows me to boot off of this USB device. I just don't remember what I did. Like I said earlier, this device was built so I could use it to build new laptops using WinPE and the files we want on our systems.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,102 posts.

26-Apr-2010, 04:22 PM #9
"WinPE" clears up at least one thing. I thought, and probably the other posters did also, that you had a bootable Windows 7 USB. I don't have a clue about what may have happened, but maybe you want to try to start at the beginning with Walkthrough: Create a Custom Windows PE Image.

Or, maybe, you just wanna sheepishly go back to your fellow staff member for more directed help?

Chances are, one of the other folks will be able to help more now that they know you are working with WinPE.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
usb bootable

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!