Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Mouse becomes partially disabled after reboot

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-May-2010, 09:33 PM #1
Mouse becomes partially disabled after reboot
Hello,

A friend of mine has a Windows 7 64-bit installation on his Gateway computer. It was operating fine for the better part of a year, until yesterday when it began experiencing a very unusual and persistent problem. I have attempted to search online for an answer, but cannot figure out how to phrase it.

The issue is, after a restart, the mouse becomes unable to click either opened windows (left or right clicking results in all windows losing focus and no click being registered by the application) or the desktop (unable to open context menus, click objects on desktop), while remaining able to click the taskbar. We also observed that once every several minutes, browser windows would navigate back to previous pages (In IE8 and FF 3.6). At first, the mouse was replaced with a different model and we attempted to use different USB ports. After that had no effect, a virus or some form of malicious attack was suspected, so the computer was reformatted and Windows 7 was reinstalled from a factory-pressed OEM disk (which had been used for the original installation last year).

At first, this appeared to have the desired effect, until Windows updates (KB978601, KB979309) were installed and a restart was required. After the restart, once Windows 7 was loaded, the mouse began exhibiting the same bizarre behavior, with one change. It was no longer possible to click on the taskbar (no highlighting would occur during mouseovers, and the taskbar and opened window icons was unresponsive to mouseclicks), but clicking on desktop objects worked (i.e. we could open a window for the Recycle bin), while windows still could not be clicked.

We then physically disconnected the computer from the network, suspecting a worm or problematic update, reformatted the computer again, making sure to delete and recreate all partitions on the sole hard-disk to ensure that no traces of the previous installation remained, and then reinstalled Windows 7 from the OEM disk. At first, all parts of the desktop, taskbar, and opened windows were ok. However, after several restarts while disconnected and without installing any new software or updating, and having removed all attached devices excepting one of the mice, the keyboard, and a pair of speakers, the taskbar and opened windows again became unclickable.

As an additional observation, moving the taskbar to a different position such as the side of the screen had no effect on the problem. I had thought that it might be an issue with a section of the screen being unresponsive, but the "dead zones" seem to be tied to the Windows interface, which makes little sense as the reformat should have eliminated any system errors/infections.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do, since I feel my friend and I have eliminated nearly all variables that could result in such an error. Any ideas or suggestions? Did we miss something?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!