Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows7 and Lexmark x4650 printer

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-May-2010, 06:56 PM #1
Wink Windows7 and Lexmark x4650 printer
I recently upgraded my laptop from Vista to Windows7 and my wireless printer stopped working. It worked fine before that. After troubleshooting this for around 2 months, and re-installing the software and drivers for my printer, and talking to Lexmark support (btw, I got nowhere with them), I decided to add the mac address of my printer to my dhcp client list on my Belkin router. One of the problems I was seeing in Windows7 was from my network screen, I would constantly lose my printer and the only way to get it back temporarily was to restart my router, not a good solution. As soon as I added my mac address, it is very stable and is always there on my network page.

The question I have is WHY do I have to add my mac address under Windows7 when Vista did not require it. I also use the compatibility mode for Vista (Service Pack 2) because that is what I was running before I upgraded the OS.

thanks for your support
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

27-May-2010, 04:47 AM #2
I'm guessing you have Vista / 7 32bit (if not, I have seen an issue upgrading from Vista 64 to 7 64 and printer drivers), I don't know if it feasible, but have you tried a new instal of Windows 7 ?!?
If not feasible, have you tried changing the dhcp scope in your router, then assinging the printer a static IP.
Also, I'm guessing you connect wirelessly ?!?
What channel you using / WPA WPA2 WEP ?!?
Computer Specs

27-May-2010, 08:42 PM #3
I was using Vista 32-bit and I upgraded to 7 32-bit. I have not re-installed 7. I do connect wirelessly and the channel I use is
WPA2. Where do I change the dhcp scope and assign the printer a static IP? I think that would be the way to go...

Thanks for the input
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

28-May-2010, 07:54 AM #4
If you were to go into your Belkin router interface via IE, then fish round for a dhcp section, there should be a "starting" address, like 192.168.0.10, if you then use an address lower than this (like 192.168.0.9), it will not be used by dhcp and you wont have to worry about conflicts.
Also check if the printer supports WPA2 AND that your laptop does, some "wifi" ready devices support WPA only, also try changing the channel you use to 11 (if it is on 1) OR try channel 1 (if it is on 11) etc, some frequencies are vulnerable to interferance (like from radio controlled toys etc!!!)
Hope these help, let us know.
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

07-Jun-2010, 04:02 AM #5
ljenson,

Any luck ?
Member with 8,250 posts.

07-Jun-2010, 04:42 AM #6
ljenson:
Hello & Welcome to Tech Guy Forum.

Which brand, model & model # lappy?

Which W7, 32 bit?

I've encountered printer connectivity problems caused by 3rd party firewalls.

Did you happen to read this, before upgrading to W7?
http://support.lexmark.com/index?id=...erlocale=EN_US
If not, please do so.

Which FW are you running?

Which Belkin router?

RF123
Computer Specs

07-Jun-2010, 06:46 PM #7
I decided to leave my mac addresses in my mac filter and I made my printer use a static IP. It is working and I really don't want to mess it up again!
Thanks for you help tho!
Member with 8,250 posts.

08-Jun-2010, 01:07 AM #8
Are we finished?

When you are satisfied with the status of your issue, please mark the thread solved.

RF123
Computer Specs
Member with 91 posts.

08-Jun-2010, 10:26 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljenson View Post
I decided to leave my mac addresses in my mac filter and I made my printer use a static IP. It is working and I really don't want to mess it up again!
Thanks for you help tho!
Glad we could help
Computer Specs

08-Jun-2010, 06:58 PM #10
Resolved
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!