Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Activating clean install of Windows 7 upgrade - Lost E-mail with product key

(!)

Junior Member with 10 posts.

29-May-2010, 10:26 AM #1
Activating clean install of Windows 7 upgrade - Lost E-mail with product key
Hi guys, so after my girlfriend dropping my laptop, everything was wiped and the hard drive rendered unusable. I bought a new hard drive and installed Windows 7 using an *upgrade* disc that was purchased not for this laptop but for another desktop within the household, therefore the product key would not be valid for this installation.

Originally, before the drop, I had bought and downloaded Windows 7 version online, so the product key was emailed to me. That email account is no longer available as I bought it through the student deal (and am now no longer a student so i cant access the college email).

Any ideas what i should do? I have used keyfinders to locate my product key but the key provided does not work. I have also tried method 2 on this website: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/cle...rade_media.asp but to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,259 posts.

29-May-2010, 10:35 AM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornzog View Post
...and am now no longer a student...

This is a requirement for downloading and using .edu distributed Microsoft discounted software.

29-May-2010, 10:41 AM #3
What so just because I finished college, my version of Windows becomes invalid? That seems ridiculous.

Besides, I will be a student again in a few months time when I start my university course.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,259 posts.

29-May-2010, 10:51 AM #4
Quote:
What so just because I finished college, my version of Windows becomes invalid?

According to Microsoft, that would be correct.

http://www.microsoft.com/education/l.../eligible.aspx

29-May-2010, 10:58 AM #5
So.. my only option now is to buy a brand new full version of Windows 7? Seeing as it's not an upgrade it's a clean install this time.

I don't intend to be doing anything illegal here, seems a rather elaborate/expensive consequence of losing a product key does it not?
Computer Specs
Member with 3,259 posts.

29-May-2010, 11:42 AM #6
Quote:
...seems a rather elaborate/expensive consequence of losing a product key does it not?
No, it's a consequence of you not being an enrolled student any more.

I'd either wait, or buy the full retail package.

BTW, a backup would have the recommendation before your hard disk malfunctioned.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

29-May-2010, 12:49 PM #7
You certainly can continue to use software you purchased as a student, but the problem is that you didn't bother to save the key and the download in a safe place. Now you cannot access the key, so you can't use it (obviously). It's not a licensing issue. It's a mismanagement of software and keys issue.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,259 posts.

29-May-2010, 02:28 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
You certainly can continue to use software you purchased as a student, but the problem is that you didn't bother to save the key and the download in a safe place. Now you cannot access the key, so you can't use it (obviously). It's not a licensing issue. It's a mismanagement of software and keys issue.

Yeah I didn't mean to imply the OP couldn't use his copy after leaving school, only that he couldn't get another copy now.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

29-May-2010, 02:29 PM #9
No one can get another copy now since the program ended.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
windows 7 activation

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!