Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Epson Printer wont print all the time with thick paper

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 199 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Jun-2010, 08:17 AM #1
Epson Printer wont print all the time with thick paper
Just updated the drivers on my Epson Artisan 700. When I use Photoshop CS3 and print it works fine, however, without changing any settings, if i print to a paper that is thicker, the printer acts like it is printing, but when it comes out, nothing is on it. After printing about 10 times last night, I got only 2 that came out with anything. However, everytime I put in regular paper, it prints fine. Any ideas?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,939 posts.

23-Jun-2010, 10:05 AM #2
What paper are you using - looking at the online manual http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...odoid=63083402
Thickness
0.003 to 0.004 inch (0.08 to 0.11 mm)
Weight
17 lb (64 g/m2) to 24 lb (90 g/m2)

90 is a very light paper -
Computer Specs
Member with 199 posts.

23-Jun-2010, 10:13 AM #3
It is card stock. 67lb. I did over 300 of them last year but remember running into similar problems.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,939 posts.

23-Jun-2010, 10:39 AM #4
That would be why - the printer does not support that weight of paper - I know on a Oki printer I had loads of problems because of weight I wanted to use and that would only support 105 g/m2 - so changed to a HP printer that support upto 210
I'm currently using an HP all-in-1 and printing off 160g/m2 paper - just printed off 500 sheets and even though its support had a few issues,, with paper pickup and printing - not a lot - but a couple of times
Computer Specs
Member with 199 posts.

23-Jun-2010, 11:44 AM #5
Thank you for that information. However, it picks the paper up and acts like its printing. I see the printer head moving back and forth in the location where I am printing but each time it comes out blank. It has only printed a couple that actually had ink on them. I cannot believe it cannot do it as my old HP crappy one could. Weird.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,240 posts.

23-Jun-2010, 11:52 AM #6
you may have to give the paper a nudge to get it started each time so it will print on heavy paper. sometime's i have to do what when printing labels or postage with thick forms on my hp printer.
Computer Specs
Member with 199 posts.

23-Jun-2010, 06:18 PM #7
Taking the paper is not an issue. Its the fact that even though it does exactly everything that it does when printing, no ink actually comes out. However, it is not an ink problem since I can print onto regular paper with no issue.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,863 posts.

23-Jun-2010, 06:38 PM #8
I'm sure that there is very little clearance between the ink jets and the proper sized paper. Possibly your too-thick paper is rubbing against the jets, blocking the ink from exiting.
Computer Specs
Member with 199 posts.

24-Jun-2010, 01:03 PM #9
The printer should be able to handle 67 lb paper. My old $50 HP can do it, I would think the $300 epson should be able to.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,863 posts.

24-Jun-2010, 02:47 PM #10
OK; I didn't look at the specs myself; was just going by what etaf had found. He's very accurate, but could have misread something.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!