Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Installing new processor in W.7

(!)

Member with 701 posts.

Experience: Learning something new...
10-Jul-2010, 04:28 PM #1
Question Solved: Installing new processor in W.7
Hi guys... it's me, Toti

Beforehand thanks for help to point me in the right direction and pls. forgive my English, not my first language .

My question is:
I bought a new processor for my computer it's a Intel Core2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz, for my motherboard ASUS P5G41-M LE... so the question is;
After installing the new processor do I need to do something in the BIOS, like configure it? or do the Mobo will detect automatically the new processor and no need to configure the Bios or upgrade it to a new Bios ?

Yes I have WIndows 7.

pls forgive my ignorance at respect

Toti
Member with 2,310 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Jul-2010, 04:50 PM #2
Generally there are no BIOS changes when you swap CPUs on a motherboard, as long as the motherboard was meant to use the new processor.

If you were overclocking the motherboard (to speed it up, for example) then you might want to revert the BIOS back to original settings before using the new processor.

One more thing, I think your Operating System will need to be re-installed to use the new processor. The Kernel (the key part of the OS that deals with the CPU directly) has to be built for the current processor. That is done at the time of installing the OS.
Member with 701 posts.

10-Jul-2010, 05:04 PM #3
HI ChuckE

Thanks good to know....So once I install the new processor.... I delete partition reformat then reinstall right ?

or what will happen if I don't reinstall the O.S.? will this harm the computer?

Last edited by Toti; 10-Jul-2010 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: reinstallation O.S.
Member with 2,310 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Jul-2010, 05:08 PM #4
That would be the clean way, and the way I would go.
But I think you might get away with just "Repairing" the OS. It might get you back up and running in minutes.
You might try that first, and if it works, report back to us.
It might be educational for all of us.
Member with 701 posts.

10-Jul-2010, 05:27 PM #5
OK so.....

Thanks ChukE so... I would try the "Repairing" first and if It works for sure I would be back to report and in case not I make a clean Install of my O.S.

I have an External HD portable , so can I make a back up of my C drive on it ? how can I do that, like to back up my work and files on it ?

I remember ther's a way to back up email , favorites of Firefox .Opera and I.E. but don't remember were I see it.
I'm going to need to search that all again and back up all that. ohhhh that's gonna be a full day work going to need to prepare a good pot of new coffee.

Last edited by Toti; 10-Jul-2010 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: How to back up and search backup technique in HD portable
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

10-Jul-2010, 05:35 PM #6
You shouldn't need to reinstall or repair Windows for a simple processor change.
Member with 701 posts.

10-Jul-2010, 06:02 PM #7
OHHH !!!!

So, Im good to go ?

Thanks for clear that DoubleHelix.
Brb to report ....hands on.

Toti

Last edited by Toti; 10-Jul-2010 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: double check
Member with 701 posts.

10-Jul-2010, 08:36 PM #8
HI guys I'm back .

Well I installed the new processor clean a bit the fans and the whole case inside, I didn't apply thermal compound in to the processor because the fan sink had a thermal compound already applied.
So I took the older processor place the new one , secure the fan sink connect the fan into Mobo close it and turn on computer.
The computer turned on fast with no problem and recognized the processor with no trouble.
No need to BIOS or retype my serial number or do a windows repair , system recognized ok and windows and O.S. ok.

Thansk guys

Now I remember I have to update a older post by me about computer on and off in Windows 7.

anyhow Thanks to ChukE for recommendations.
and to DoubleHelix to make it Clear.

SOLVED !!

xoxo
Toti
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!