Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Partitioning in W7, Allocate Unallocated Space

(!)

Member with 48 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Jul-2010, 07:27 AM #1
Partitioning in W7, Allocate Unallocated Space
I wasn't sure if I should post this to the W7 forum or to post to a Hard Disks forum. I'm enjoying W7, so I hope W7 offers a good solution.

While repartitioning my computer I ended up with a corrupted MBR and 40GB of unallocated space. So I reformatted C: and installed W7. But now I want to allocate the unallocated space.

The present situation:
Disk 0, Basic
C: System 62.5 GB
D: Data 195.54GB
8 MB Unallocated
40.03 GB Free Space

How to I take the "40.03 GB Free Space" and add 10GB to C: and add 30GB to D: ?

Tom
Computer Specs
Member with 2,068 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Jul-2010, 08:36 AM #2
Use the disk management utility in Windows 7. It will allocate the space for you. Simply right click on the C:\ partition (or whatever partition you want to distribute the space to) and then select expand.
Member with 1,690 posts.

20-Jul-2010, 09:06 AM #3
How are the partitions arranged now? Is it C then D then the unallocated space? or is the unallocated space between the C and D partition?

And, is there a lot of data in your D partition?
Member with 48 posts.

30-Jul-2010, 02:55 PM #4
I went to the Disk Management. But when I right click on disk D: it only gives me the option to Shrink. I want to Expand. When I go to My Computer it says 11GB of 195 GB free. That's strange. What could the problem be?

Last edited by webmanoffesto; 30-Jul-2010 at 03:02 PM..
Member with 66 posts.

30-Jul-2010, 03:19 PM #5
Here are a couple requirements to extend partitions.

The following are the requirements for the extend command:
• The volume must be formatted with the NTFS file system.
• For Basic volumes, the unallocated space for the extension must be the
next contiguous space on the same disk.
• For Dynamic Volumes, the unallocated space can be any empty space on
any Dynamic disk on the system."

As DVOM suggested with his question, if the unallocated space is not the next contiguous space on the disk then you will not be able to extend a basic volume.

If this is the case then it leaves two options that I can think of.

1. Keep everything as a basic disk. Create 2 new partitions from the unallocated space, format them with NTFS, one of the new partitions will be 10 gig the other one 30 gig. Create a brand new empty folder on C: and mount the 10 gig partition in that folder, do the same for d: but use the 30 gig partition.

2. Convert everything to dynamic disk. This will allow you to use any unallocated space anywhere.

Thanks.
Member with 48 posts.

30-Jul-2010, 03:55 PM #6
That seems like a good and creative solution. I thought Dynamic Disk was just for Raid arrays. I guess it's useful for other things too.
Member with 1,690 posts.

30-Jul-2010, 06:29 PM #7
What you've got here is:

1) A 62.5G primary C partition.

2) An 8MB unallocated space

3) An extended partition containing: (extended is indicated by the green border around the following)
...A 66MB logical partition
...A 39.9G free space
...A 195.5G D partition
...Some free space I can't see completely

To be able to deal with this, you're going to have to use some 3rd party partition manager. Windows disk management isn't designed to deal with what you've got. The most basic obvious problem with Windows partition management here is that it can't expand a partition to the left, it can only expand to the right.

So, after you've decided on a 3rd party partition manager, you need to:

1) Delete the 66MB logical partition

2) Shrink the extended partition (within the green border) down so that it only contains your 195.5G D partition and 30G of the free space to the left of your D partition.

...That will leave you with an unallocated space made up of the original 8MB plus the 66MB free space plus 10G of the free space.
...It will also leave you with 30G of space within the extended partition to expand your D logical partition to the left.

At that point you'll be able to expand your C partition to the right and your D partition to the left. Keep in mind that the expansion of C will be fairly fast as it doesn't have to move files, and expanding your D to the left will take quite a bit of time as it needs to move all the files on D.

Given your current understanding of how partitions work, I would recommend against considering using dynamic disks.
Member with 48 posts.

31-Jul-2010, 09:54 AM #8
That seems like a great way to do it. Thank you. I'll post the results.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hard disc, partioning, repartition, windows 7, windows 7 32-bit

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!