Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Getting Excel to open TSV file

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

18-Aug-2010, 12:30 PM #1
Getting Excel to open TSV file
Windows 7 keeps defaulting to notepad to open files with extension .tsv I want excel to open these files but I am not given a choice of excel in the available programs to open a tsv file. How do i rest / set windows 7 to always use ecel to open a tsv file?
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,273 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Aug-2010, 12:53 PM #2
Right click the file and click Open With. Click Choose default program. Then check the always use box, find Excel, and click OK.

18-Aug-2010, 01:51 PM #3
I knew that part - Excel not a program choice
I knew that part - Excel not a program choice. How do I force excel as the program of choice if it is not listed as one of the options?
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2010, 01:53 PM #4
If a program doesn't appear, you have to click browse. Then navigate to the program you want. After that it will appear in the options.

19-Aug-2010, 08:55 AM #5
Still not the answer
Does not appear even when you browse. Have to elevate to Microsoft paid for help.
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2010, 08:59 AM #6
What did you browse to? You have to navigate to the actual excel program, most probably located in the Program Files folder.

19-Aug-2010, 09:03 AM #7
That was our next step
We tried this as well. We can't find the excel folder. We can find word and the other office programs but can't find excel. And excel is definately on the computer. This has been a real mystery to Toshiba (maker of laptop) tech support guys. They have elevated it to a higher level and supposed to call me today to solve this.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!