Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Moving files / No permission random files/folders

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Aug-2010, 03:15 AM #1
Moving files / No permission random files/folders
Just bought a new HDD and moving large amounts of files and folders.
It appears that 'random' folders and files on my old hdd wont move to their new destination because I dont have permission to move them ?

The only way I can get them to move is to go into file->properties->security.. assign myself as an owner, then add myself to group/users and give myself full control.

If I do this to a 'folder' it gives me permissions errors about the 'files' inside the folder (i.e does not propagate downwards) so I have to do it to files ONE BY ONE which is taking ages and ages to move stuff...

why the hell have i lost ownership of seemingly random bunches of files ? and is there an easier way to get it back ?

thanks..
Mollie Mollie is offline Mollie has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 308 posts.

Experience: Not enough
26-Aug-2010, 05:02 AM #2
Yes, there is an easier way : Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Win 7 or Vista.

Good luck!

Mollie
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!