Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Large C:\Windows\Installer folder

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 33 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Aug-2010, 04:44 PM #1
Large C:\Windows\Installer folder
Hi guys,

My C drive is getting full and I have 5GB of files in the C:\Windows\Installer folder. I google'd around and found numerous articles/posts about running a command "msizap.exe G!" to properly clear out un-needed files.

Everything I've found on properly deleting files from this directory points back to a download that used to be here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

which now has a note: "This article previously contained a link to the Windows Installer Cleanup utility (MSICUU2.exe). If you were directed to this article to solve a problem installing a product other than Microsoft Office, please contact your software manufacturer for installation support on the product."

(thanks Microsoft... do I contact YOU then??)

Does anyone know the current correct procedure to clear out this folder? Or if this tool is still available somewhere? (and safe to use on Windows 7)

Thanks
Trusted Advisor with 19,645 posts.

27-Aug-2010, 05:00 PM #2
I really don't know the current procedure to do it but I am sure if you Google Search for msizap.exe you will find out how to download it from Microsoft.
Computer Specs
Member with 33 posts.

27-Aug-2010, 05:03 PM #3
That's just my point, everything I found online points to that download on Microsoft's site, but it seems Microsoft pulled it.
Trusted Advisor with 19,645 posts.

27-Aug-2010, 05:09 PM #4
Computer Specs
Member with 368 posts.

Experience: Advanced in Years
27-Aug-2010, 05:19 PM #5
Hi.

or: http://majorgeeks.com/Windows_Instal...ity_d4459.html

downloaded myself and scanned.

the util is > msicuu2.exe
Computer Specs
Member with 33 posts.

28-Aug-2010, 11:02 AM #6
Thanks!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!