Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Install OS from one laptop to another?

(!)

jmk909er jmk909er is offline jmk909er has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 343 posts.

Experience: learn by trial and error
10-Sep-2010, 10:59 AM #1
Solved: Install OS from one laptop to another?
I have a new laptop with windows 7 OS on it and an older Dell inspiron laptop 1520 with Vista on it. My question is this: Can I install the 7 OS on my Dell from my new laptop since they don't give you any discs anymore when you buy a new computer?

Thanks, Joe
Member with 604 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Sep-2010, 11:04 AM #2
Im assuming you want to keep using both laptops?
if this is the case there's no legal way to do it im afraid. The copy that came on your new laptop is tied to that laptop. using the same operating system from one laptop to another is against copyright, unless your licenced to use the same version of software on more than 1 machine.
jmk909er jmk909er is offline jmk909er has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 343 posts.

Experience: learn by trial and error
10-Sep-2010, 11:08 AM #3
Oh I did not know that, I thought that when you bought it it was yours. Let me ask you this, if you went to the store and bought Windows 7 for example, couldnt you install it on all the computers that you have since you own it?
Member with 604 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Sep-2010, 11:11 AM #4
I think you now get a 3 machine licence with new copies bought from stores.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,446 posts.

10-Sep-2010, 11:40 AM #5
With Windows (and many other software products) you don't really buy the product, but rather you buy a license to use the product. Your current Windows 7 is OEM, and is tied to that machine only.

If you buy an upgrade (discounted price) Windows 7 and install it on your Vista PC that Windows 7 will then be tied to that machine.

If you buy a full retail Windows 7 (1 license) you can move it from one machine to another, but it can be on only one machine at a time and takes a call to Microsoft to move it to another machine.

Apparently next month there will be another limited opportunity to get a 3-pack Windows upgrade for $150.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!