Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Generic Storage Device USB Device keeps popping up

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Sep-2010, 02:32 PM #1
Generic Storage Device USB Device keeps popping up
Hi, I'm having a slight problem with my computer.

It originated when I was using an image mounting tool, after removing one of the simulated drives while my usb thumb drive was connected. A new drive called removable disk appeared with the same drive letter as the simulated drive I removed. If I go into the device manager I see it as "Generic Storage Device USB Device". Removing it also removes the new drive from my computer, however each time I reconnect my usb thumb drive I get that one popping up. I also get my thumb drive, but besides that I get a "ghost" image of one that I can't open, and it remains even after safely removing my usbstick, and remains until I remove it in the device manager. I'm guessing this is related to windows 'remembering' the ids of the devices you connect, however I can't remember where that is stored in the windows registry. Any ideas about what I can do?

Thankful for any answers

Regards
Jack
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,315 posts.

21-Sep-2010, 02:42 PM #2
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Autopl ayHandlers\KnownDevices

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Autop layHandlers\Handlers

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Autop layHandlers\EventHandlers

Hope it helps.
Computer Specs

21-Sep-2010, 04:35 PM #3
First of all, thanks for the quick reply. However sadly it didn't fix my problem. I also tried removing the device from the MountedDevices in regedit and using another usb stick and port, but that didn't help either. Finally I got annoyed and did a system restore to a week ago, however the problem still persists. It's not that big a bother but it's damn annoying, especially as it's hogging drive letters for itself.
Computer Specs
Member with 99 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Sep-2010, 04:51 PM #4
why dont you just repeat what you did the first time in reverse, add that extra drive back using the mounting tool, see if it makes and extra one or just simply fills the space of the "ghost" drive, then remove the flash and see what happens.
Computer Specs

22-Sep-2010, 01:53 PM #5
A good suggestion Juju, however it's also one of the first things I tried, and sadly it didn't help. I thank you for the suggestion though
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!