Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Oct-2010, 04:51 PM #1
windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause
I have a small Acer laptop with windows 7 starter edition on it. (actually its my son's). It suddenly would not boot up saying "the error windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause" i have tried every option and nothing works. i have tried the erecovery management and it just sits and loads. i am not the most computer savy person and cannot really afford to take it in to get it fixed. What can i do to fix this?

thanks for any help
Junior Member with 25 posts.

18-Oct-2010, 05:18 PM #2
Sounds like you lost the MBR(Master Boot Loader), or NTDLR is missing. Boot to the systems recovery with the OS disk and then startup repair option. Startup Repair will now scan your computer to attempt to find and fix any startup problems. If you don't have your startup disk just reboot the computer and follow the prompts on the screen for system recovery tools.
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

18-Oct-2010, 05:26 PM #3
I do not have a disk...it does not have a disk drive.I have tried the option to fix it..it doesnt do anything. it will just load to a screen with a flower on the side.

18-Oct-2010, 07:09 PM #4
I would boot into the bios (setup) and check the hard-drive. If you have another computer available you can go to the manufacturers website for the hard-drive and download a diagnostic program to confirm the hard-drive is or isn't the problem. You can also go to this website and download the (recovery tools disc), which will allow you to boot from and enter the system restore functions and startup recovery. The download is and ISO file. Once downloaded you have to burn it back to a blank disc and then you have your boot disc you need to enter the (startup repair) option. What model is the laptop and did you install any new hardware or make any changes or anything. Need more info to diagnose the problem.
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

18-Oct-2010, 08:45 PM #5
I have an Acer One model nav50 laptop. No new hardware. No new software that I know of....It is my 13 year old son's computer, so there is no telling. I dont know how to boot into bios...everything I have tried does not work.

19-Oct-2010, 01:25 AM #6
Do a google search for (download Windows 7 system recovery discs) and then burn the ISO file to a hard-drive to use the system recovery tool to fix it. You want the Neosmart website and your find the link there. The link above didn't show because it was not allowed in the forum, sorry.

To activate the BIOS Utility, press F2 during POST (when Press <F2> to enter Setup message is prompted
on the bottom of screen).
Press F2 to enter setup. The default parameter of F12 Boot Menu is set to “disabled”. If you want to change
boot device without entering BIOS Setup Utility, please set the parameter to “enabled”.
Press <F12> during POST to enter multi-boot menu. In this menu, user can change boot device without
entering BIOS SETUP Utility.
Navigating the BIOS Utility
There are six menu options: Information, Main, Advanced, Security, Power, Boot, and Exit.
Follow these instructions:
• To choose a menu, use the left and right arrow keys.
• To choose an item, use the up and down arrow keys.
• To change the value of a parameter, press F5 or F6.
• A plus sign (+) indicates the item has sub-items. Press Enter to expand this item.
• Press Esc while you are in any of the menu options to go to the Exit menu.
• In any menu, you can load default settings by pressing F9. You can also press F10 to save any
changes made and exit the BIOS Setup Utility.

Go to Acer website and click on support and enter the model # and view the manual which will show you screen shots on how to navigate the bios to check the hard-drive and other things. Check the boot order. cd-rom 1st and hard-drive last.

If you download and burn the system recovery disc it could very well fix your problem easily if the hard-drive is ok.

19-Oct-2010, 01:43 AM #7
If you don't have a cd-rom or dvd drive you would have to use an external to boot from discs if your unable to hit F10 and enter system recovery option. If you can us F10 then navigate to startup repair and run it until problem is solved or restore the computer, your choice.

Select models have the ability to have the operating system reinstalled from a hidden drive built into the computer.
To start the system recovery:
  1. Restart the netbook.
  2. When the Acer logo appears on the screen, press the Alt and F10 keys repeatedly.
  3. If you are prompted with a Microsoft Windows boot screen, press the Enter key.
  4. After the system recovery program has loaded, follow the prompts to reinstall the Operating System.

19-Oct-2010, 01:45 AM #8
This is how to use system recovery tools from disc for you Acer Nav50. You would have to still download and burn the recovery disc I mentioned above.

If the ability to reinstall from the previous method is not available or fails, recovery of the Operating System will need to be from Recovery Media. In order to recover the system using Acer Recovery Media, an external optical disc drive is required.
  1. Restart the netbook.
  2. When the Acer logo appears on the screen, press the F2 key repeatedly.
  3. Press the Left Arrow key until you've selected Boot.
  4. Ensure that the external optical drive is plugged into a USB port.
  5. Refer to on screen instructions to set the first device to USB CDROM.
  6. Press the CD-ROM drive eject button and insert the disc labeled System CD.
  7. Close the CD-ROM tray.
  8. Press the F10 key and then the Enter key to save the changes and restart the netbook.
  9. The computer will boot from the Acer Recovery Media
  10. When prompted for the Recovery CD, remove the System CD and insert the Recovery CD. Note: If there are multiple Recovery CDs, please insert the first Recovery CD.
  11. After the system recovery program has loaded, follow the prompts to reinstall the Operating System.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Oct-2010, 01:55 AM #9
I am also having this problem with my son's laptop it is a Toshiba satellite. My 2 younger boys where playing games on it and now I cannot get it to work.
Computer Specs

19-Oct-2010, 01:58 AM #10
I am now running the windows memory diagnostics tool. Will this help or is it a waste of time?

19-Oct-2010, 02:34 AM #11
kat24 - message me and I'll see if I can help you. I would need the model number and version of windows.
Computer Specs

19-Oct-2010, 02:41 AM #12
I wish I could but it is not allowing me to send you a private message???
Computer Specs

19-Oct-2010, 02:51 AM #13
please e-mail me
Computer Specs
Member with 39 posts.

19-Oct-2010, 08:16 PM #14
I have this same problem with my Dell Inspiron 1545, it is a corrupt system file that caused it. I can boot in safe mode to do an emergency back-up but it is slooooow. I am getting ready to wipe the HD and do a clean install of Win 7 because I can only boot in safe mode and you can't do an upgrade install in safe mode. My recovery partition is for Win XP which is what came pre-loaded, I had upgraded a few months ago.

I tried for 2 days to use the system repair, it seemed to be fixing things the first couple of times, now it just says it can't repair the problem. It showed the memory was working fine, if I was reading the results of the scan correctly. It also can't see anything useful in the Recovery partition, I think because it has Win XP on it
Member with 128 posts.

19-Oct-2010, 08:24 PM #15
Jebus this thread is all over the dang place. Downloading recover CDs it not allowed, but a system repair disc, I would assume to be fine. To start OP (christi992) can you try safemode for us real quick (F8 after acer logo) and tell us after loading what driver. (DRIVER NAME.sys) that the computer gets the Blue screen.

@Kat, the issue here is that the specific blue screen is a generic issue and the fix that is needed for christi992 may not be the same resolution for you. I would make a new post in the same forum with specific details about your problem.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
acer, windows 7 starter, windows failure

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!