Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Computer sees my printer on the network but won't install the driver

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 174 posts.

28-Oct-2010, 07:48 PM #1
Solved: Computer sees my printer on the network but won't install the driver
OK, so I spent an hour and a half on the phone with Canon support and they were awesome. But in the end they had no idea why the printer wouldn't install the driver to make the printer work wireless. It works fine on USB.

So then I called the maker of my laptop (Toshiba) and they couldn't help me either. I'm at a total loss here.

I have a new printer and a new laptop with Windows 7 and no one can figure out what the problem is. I got the printer all set and is set up properly as wireless. I installed the installation CD and it actually sees the printer on the network. But then I get this error message:

NP Drivers

An error occurred while copying files: 0200 0000

If anyone can tell me what the hell is going on here it would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,271 posts.

28-Oct-2010, 08:40 PM #2
Please bring your signature into compliance (3 line max). You can put your (updated ) computer info in the Computer Specs part of your profile.

I'll make the guess that there is a problem reading some files from the CD. Download the installation package from Canon's web site (it may even be an updated version) and try that.
Computer Specs
Member with 174 posts.

28-Oct-2010, 09:41 PM #3
Unbelievable. It worked.

No lie, I was on the phone for an hour and a half with the Canon tech support. The guy was awesome....he walked me through several potential fixes but with no luck. He had me creating new user accounts, copying and pasting files from deep in the hard drive, and even changing things in MSCONFIG. But not once did he suggest downloading a driver from the website. Finally he told me he did all he could and directed me to contact the maker of my computer. How is that possible??

Anyways, thank you very much. Two nights of incredible frustration is over!!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,271 posts.

29-Oct-2010, 08:08 AM #4
Quote:
Finally he told me he did all he could and directed me to contact the maker of my computer. How is that possible??
That part was partially on target. "An error occurred while copying files" indicates some kind of hardware error (hence my guess that CD files couldn't be read) or operating system error or mis-configuration.

You're welcome. And thanks for quickly taking care of your signature.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!