Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Icons Move Around on Desktop

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Nov-2010, 01:19 AM #1
Question Icons Move Around on Desktop
Hi,

I run Windows 7 on my Dell laptop. At work, I dock the laptop and use a computer monitor screen in conjunction with the laptop screen. The laptop always remains the primary computer. When I dock and undock the laptop, the icons on my desktop all end up jumbled. I organize my icons in a specific way, so it's frustrating that this happens frequently. I do not have either align to grid or auto arrange selected.

Any suggestion?

Thank you
Rachel
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Nov-2010, 04:32 PM #2
I have a similar problem and have been unable to solve it completely. BUT, Icon Restore is a very tiny program that easily lets you "save" your icon arrangement and if it gets messed up, you just right click on My Computer or Recycle Bin and there will be an option to restore your arrangement. There are other such programs available that let you store multiple arrangements. http://download.cnet.com/Icon-Restor...-10163499.html
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,957 posts.

18-Nov-2010, 08:21 PM #3
I also like Icon Restore. For saving/restoring multiple configurations I have been using Iconoid save/restore with Windows 7 32-bit. Just now noticed that there is a Beta version for 64-bit.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

18-Nov-2010, 08:34 PM #4
I agree
I know about that ...I just didn't need multiple arrangements saved ... but you are right. Also, back to the initial post, make sure that Auto Arrange and Align to Grid are unchecked. That might help. If not initially, boot in safe mode with them unchecked and that might do the trick.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,356 posts.

19-Nov-2010, 12:12 PM #5
The problem is that the laptop screen and the external screen are two different sizes. They will always rearrange so they can be found.
You may try, arranging things using the laptop screen, and then make sure that the option "Auto Arrange" is turned off.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!