Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't change drive letter for external drive

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 60 posts.

Experience: Experienced beginner
17-Nov-2010, 02:01 AM #1
Can't change drive letter for external drive
Hi, I have an Asus n61 notebook & a 1tb WD external drive connected via esata. I want my notebook to recognize the drive as G, for program pathway reasons, but as it needs to be connected before power up my system sees it as F. When I try to 'change drive letter' in Disk Management it simply says 'the parameter is incorrect'. I have never had problems assigning drive letters in XP. What is the secret in W7?
Thanks.
Member with 1,670 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Nov-2010, 08:38 PM #2
) In the Computer Management window thus opened, click to expand Computer Management (Local)\Storage\Disk Management given in the left pane) Now right click the disk partition of which you want to change the drive letter and select Change Drive Letter and Path… option in the right pane

In the dialogue box thus opened click Change… button.Now select the drive letter from the dropdown list and press OK button.
Computer Specs
Member with 60 posts.

18-Nov-2010, 10:25 PM #3
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I wasn't sufficiently clear in my post, I know the change drive letter procedure, I've done it many times in XP, but after taking the steps as outlined in your reply & selecting my desired drive letter from the dropdown list, I click OK for the new drive letter & a dialog box comes up to say 'the parameter is incorrect'. I have no idea why the parameter would be incorrect, I have not selected a drive letter that is already taken by another connected device.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,356 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Nov-2010, 12:15 PM #4
Is there another device that is already connected as the "G" drive?
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

19-Nov-2010, 12:36 PM #5
Can you post a screenshot of the Disk Management window, with the Status column widened so nothing is being hidden?

With the external connected, click Start | Run (or press WinKey+R), type diskmgmt.msc, press Enter

Hover the mouse over the dividing line between the two column headers Status and Capacity until the mouse pointer changes to this:then double click. The column will be sized to the largest item in the column.
Or you can click and drag the mouse to widen or narrow the column as desired. You can drag past the edge of the window, or use the scroll bar to move the window to get a new "purchase", or to get to the right side of the last column.

How to Post a Screenshot
Computer Specs
Member with 60 posts.

19-Nov-2010, 10:11 PM #6
Quote:
Is there another device that is already connected as the "G" drive?
There wasn't, no. I have played around & managed to trick my system into recognizing it as G drive, but I can't count on it doing that when I really need it!

Quote:
Can you post a screenshot of the Disk Management window, with the Status column widened so nothing is being hidden?
As stated above, the system is now recognizing the drive I want to see as G. My situation is unchanged however. I experimented with the flash drive & tried to change it from H to I & I had the same incorrect parameter message.
Attached Thumbnails
Can't change drive letter for external drive-n61-disk-management-window.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

20-Nov-2010, 02:43 AM #7
Looks OK now. Only thing I've found was if the drive was in use, say for a page file, or if a Restore Point was being created, it might give that error. Wouldn't explain the Flash Drive though. No other ideas at the moment.
Computer Specs
Member with 60 posts.

20-Nov-2010, 11:22 PM #8
Thanks. Fortunately I don't need to use it often & when I did need to use it last night it came up as G again so I was happy. I could also use a hub & connect my 1tb drive via USB & use a flash drive to trick my system into recognizing it as G if I had to. I would just be more comfortable if I had the option to change it manually in Disk Management. Thanks for your thoughts.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,356 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Nov-2010, 12:22 PM #9
It may be the "HUB" that is the source of the problem.
Some hubs are not very friendly.

You might try things with out the hub, it that works then it would appear to be the problem.

It may have helped upfront, if you had said something about using a hub.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!