Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Everything opens in NOTEPAD!

(!)

Junior Member with 11 posts.

27-Nov-2010, 12:39 AM #1
Exclamation Solved: Everything opens in NOTEPAD!
Someone help me, please! I downloaded something and maybe it was a virus or me, but now everything opens with notepad! Can you help me? I tried downloading and extracting something, going into cmd and working on it, but can't get it! I need help. Badly.
Member with 394 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Nov-2010, 12:59 AM #2
Have you tried looking at the default programs to open files with? You probably just made Notepad the default program to open every single file
If you don't know how to do what I'm talking about, what version of Windows do you have?
Computer Specs
Member with 33 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Nov-2010, 04:09 AM #3
Just right click on a file u have. Select Properties. > And default program will say "Notepad" in this case. > Click on edit/change next to it. > Select the program u want to open it with.

U can also run SFC.
Click on start > search for "cmd" in the search bar. > right-click it and select run as admin. > then type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. Try this and reply!
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Nov-2010, 08:15 PM #4
If your worried it is a virus download and install MalwareBytes - http://www.malwarebytes.org/

But i think TheMetalSE has it covered!

29-Nov-2010, 05:44 PM #5
I use Windows 7, and I think I did set every file to open with notepad! I right clicked on Mozilla Firefox and brought up the window, but nothing showed me where to change what it opens with by default. I don't know how to change it back. I'm sorry for not knowing what to do. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated in solving my little issue.

29-Nov-2010, 05:52 PM #6
I use Windows 7, and I did set everything to default to Notepad. Apparently, everything is an LNK file and when I find the file location, I can click Firefox or something and it takes me to my homepage, if I put it on my desktop, it opens notepad.

29-Nov-2010, 06:49 PM #7
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/278...youcanhelp.png This is what we are all dealing with. Hopefully you can help me. I don't know why it went after every file, maybe the check was marked, but I downloaded something from the internet and selected, "Open with: Notepad" and had the check selected. I'm sorry, but I just want everything back to normal!
Account Disabled with 1,098 posts.

29-Nov-2010, 06:57 PM #8
Sort of a pain in the butt but if you follow the instructions from TheMetal you should be able to fix things. Be certain that you click on a file though, not on an icon. As it appears you've noticed, most icons are shortcuts, also known as link or LNK files. It's probably best to start with a list of your programs & figure out what file types you want each to open, e.g. Windows Media Player should handle AVI, WMV, MP3, or whatever. Open Computer & browse to a file of the appropriate type, then right-click & select Properties, etc. Just like TheMetal said. You only need to do this with one file of each type, i.e. 1 AVI, 1 WMV, 1 MP3, etc.

I'm sure there's an easier way but I'm not on Windows 7 right now so I can't really tell you what it is.
Member with 1,938 posts.

29-Nov-2010, 07:05 PM #9
Have you tried System Restore?

29-Nov-2010, 07:16 PM #10
I don't want to jump to system restore. I actually just want to solve all of this for Mozilla Firefox, and obviously any others if it can be done. I've tried it, and it seems I can only change what Video and Music files open with. The LNK obviously only opens with Notepad. But if someone were kind enough to step me through this. I'm quite new, and decided to jump to here when I need help.
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,452 posts.

29-Nov-2010, 07:21 PM #11
Quote:
I don't want to jump to system restore.
Maybe it's a matter of relativism, but it's not a drastic "jump" in my opinion.

Are you sure you're not thinking of a System Recovery?

A System Restore is separate from a System Recovery

29-Nov-2010, 07:24 PM #12
It will bring back my system settings by a week or something.
Member with 1,938 posts.

29-Nov-2010, 07:28 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GumWad View Post
It will bring back my system settings by a week or something.
24hours ago or more, up to you, choose a date and individual restore point before you experienced the issue.
Your not familiar with System Restore I take it?
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,452 posts.

29-Nov-2010, 07:32 PM #14
Is there any major changes you've performed in the last week?

29-Nov-2010, 07:33 PM #15
I am... I just have to decide if I want my parents to find out that I ripped my spacebar out, along with the two little anchor pieces and now use a little button. The spacebar I still have, but I can't get it back on. lol. I want to not have my *** whooped and get through this with a simple guide.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
help !, issue, notepad

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!