Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

My Windows 7 ultimate is freezing

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

28-Nov-2010, 08:54 PM #1
My Windows 7 ultimate is freezing
My computer keeps freezing a lot lately. I once took it to be upgraded to windows 7 ultimate. Originally it was a Windows vista Home Premium. After the upgrade everything was fine for about a month or two. Then while i was playing Combat Arms, I got a Blue Screen. This has been going on for a while. Sometimes when i start it, it asks me if i want to Launch Startup Repair. I clicked it and it said it was loading files then the computer just restarts. Sometimes while the windows logo is coming up it freezes and have to press the power button. Then while it is logging me in to my computer it may also freeze. If it doesn't i start the internet and start playing Combat Arms. Then it usually freezes during the loading menu. Sometimes the screen just stays the same and i cant control it with the keyboard or the mouse. All I can do is turn it off and hope it doesn't happen again. Now more frequently it happens. I thought it was the game so I deleted it and stopped playing it. But the freezings of my computer have not gone down. I have searched for viruses and it says it has not found any. I really want to start playing Combat Arms again, so if anyone gots any advice please don't hesitate to tell me. And my computer, before it had the upgrade, had 6 RAM sticks and they took out 3 RAM sticks. Now someone please help me.
Member with 197 posts.

Experience: Einstein
29-Nov-2010, 12:39 AM #2
Delete all the files in the below locations:
c:\windows\temp
%temp%
The files are temp files.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,951 posts.

29-Nov-2010, 02:46 PM #3
Quote:
I once took it to be upgraded to windows 7 ultimate.
Quote:
... before it had the upgrade, had 6 RAM sticks and they took out 3 RAM sticks.
I hope I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are the one who got taken.

Since with some problems like this it is so difficult to determine whether it is a software or hardware problem I think I'd start with a format and fresh install of Windows.

Why did they remove half your computer's memory?

04-Dec-2010, 04:28 PM #4
The guy said that he removed 3 of the RAM sticks because the sticks had been burnt or something like that.
Computer Specs

04-Dec-2010, 05:24 PM #5
Did he give them to you so that you could see for yourself and so that you know he did not just reuse or sell them?
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 6,782 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Dec-2010, 05:28 AM #6
I was once told here at TSG that RAM "sticks" should be installed in pairs. Having an odd # does not provide the added RAM you would expect, so I was told.

05-Dec-2010, 05:26 PM #7
He did show them to me but it wouldn't work when put inside the computer.
Computer Specs

06-Dec-2010, 10:45 AM #8
Earlier I suggested a Windows reinstall to make sure the problem is not software, but given the problems with 1/2 your memory chips maybe you should start by testing the remaining ones. Many people advise to test one at a time. Memtest86+ is a popular test.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!