Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

IconCache.DB Missing - Rebuild Did not Work

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 301 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Nov-2010, 02:04 PM #1
IconCache.DB Missing - Rebuild Did not Work
UPDATE: I spoke a little too soon. I guess something I did yesterday brought IconCache.db back BUT my icons are still messed up. I tried renaming it to .old and restarting to no avail.

Hi guys,

All my microsoft office 2007 and many other icons changed to the default white page icon for all my shortcuts/start menu/desktop icons. I tried rebuilding IconCache about 3 times to no avail. I've searched around for a while and found something about IconCache.db but it is not present in C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local. I have hidden files as shown and I even tried showing system files. I still cannot find it.

Any ideas? Thanks

Note: I would like to avoid doing a restore/reformat. Thanks

Last edited by Bascotie; 30-Nov-2010 at 02:10 PM..
Member with 197 posts.

Experience: Einstein
30-Nov-2010, 06:43 PM #2
Right click on desktop
>select screen resolution
>click on advanced settings
>select adapter tab
>click on list all modes
>(before you do this take note of the mode that you are currently using)select a 16 bit mode
>Click on OK
>Click on OK again and then apply. Now go back to list all modes and select the 32 bit mode you were using. This should rebuild the .db file.
Computer Specs
Member with 301 posts.

30-Nov-2010, 07:05 PM #3
Thanks Window,

i tried it once before but I tried again just to see. Still no luck. For a moment when clicking ok to switch back to 32 bit mode I see a flash of icons where the generic icons are (though they are not the correct ones) and then it goes back to how it was.
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,270 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Nov-2010, 07:27 PM #4
Just a quick question, do the shortcuts themselves still work? I mean if you click on the IE shortcut, though it doesn't have the blue e icon, does it open Internet explorer? That might differentiate between a flaw in the icons and a flaw in the shortcuts.
Also does this only affect shortcuts, or are other files (programs, documents, etc) also affected?
Computer Specs
Member with 301 posts.

30-Nov-2010, 07:31 PM #5
hi Ent,

The files still open with the approrpiate programs. It does not only affect shortcuts, I have some documents on the desktop that are located there and they have the same issue
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,270 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Nov-2010, 07:44 PM #6
What about restoring the default registry association for the icon handler.

I don't know what OS you're using, presuming 7.
This might be what you're looking for.

If it were XP this one might help?
Computer Specs
Member with 301 posts.

01-Dec-2010, 08:23 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ent View Post
What about restoring the default registry association for the icon handler.

I don't know what OS you're using, presuming 7.
This might be what you're looking for.

If it were XP this one might help?
Thanks. I tried it, restarted, but still the same =-/

I'm starting to fear that this is why people resorted to a restore/reformat. Maybe after this final school quarter is over I'll just back up and wipe everything like I should do anyway. Unless anyone has any other ideas? haha
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!