Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

New PC with windows 7, now what??

(!)

Member with 202 posts.

Experience: Beginner
10-Dec-2010, 10:27 AM #1
Question New PC with windows 7, now what??
Hi,
I just received my new pc (Intel i7-870 4GB DDR3memory 1TB hard drive with windows 7 home premium 64 bit) what ever that means!
I am needing step by step instructions on how to get the stuff from my old pc. (pent 4 1.6ghz 1 GB ram with windows xp home 2002 sp3 )
I have an external 40G memory if that helps too.
I did not purchase Office 2010 as of yet as my husband may have access to a disc from work. I am not sure if my Office 2003 disc has been all used I think it was for 3 pcs? Anyways, I am using Outlook Express 6 for my email accounts as well. Also have Norton to install still.
Confused as to changing over and what needs to be done first. Is there a simple step by step site or can someone explain the process in how to do this?

Thanks so much, I have found so much help here!!!
Member with 202 posts.

10-Dec-2010, 10:34 AM #2
And also, what programs etc do I still need and can I copy them from the old computer that I downloaded from internet or have to find them again?
Old Rich has a Photo Album
Member with 10,249 posts.

Experience: Learning
10-Dec-2010, 10:45 AM #3
First thing is to get up to date with Windows Updates . . then install the antivirus ( I prefer Microsoft Security Essentials and would never use Norton )

You can copy your data to the external drive and then to the new pc, or if they are networked, you can transfer the data over the network.

Applications will have to be reinstalled, either from the installtion discs or downloading. Be sure they are compatible with windows 7 64 bit

Microsoft MCCA 2012
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,299 posts.

10-Dec-2010, 10:58 AM #4
first copy all the documents in " My Documents"
outlook express does not work on windows 7
you can download a free email client like Thunderbird or windows live mail

windows live mail
http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mail?os=other

Thunderbird
http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-GB/thunderbird/

to transfer all the email to thunderbird
I would download thunderbird down onto the XP machine and then you can do a backup to the new machine
step by step guide
http://email.about.com/od/mozillathu...s/wt122305.htm
then use http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ to backup across to the new PC after you have downloaded and installed thunderbird onto new PC
I have done this quite a few times now

You may also want you favourites from internet explorer - this is a hidden file under your username in XP
documents and settings - user name
view hidden files and folders
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx
you should see a folder called favourites - you can copy that folder
http://www.ehow.com/how_5998231_do-c...computer_.html

Then you need to see if you have saved any files in other places at all ...

If you have itunes on the XP machine this porgram is excellent to copy all your music, playlists etc across to the new machine for itunes
http://get411.com/
Member with 202 posts.

10-Dec-2010, 01:44 PM #5
Thanks. I am not liking the idea of having to change my email to the 2 you suggested. I really prefer Outlook but that could cost.
So is windows media player in windows 7? also, WMP didn't work to play my videos from my sony camera so I had to use VLC instead but not sure if it was my old computer or ? Will Offic 2003 work in windows 7 as I would like the word as well?

10-Dec-2010, 01:50 PM #6
Windows live mail is very similar to Outlook Express . . Office 2003 will work fine with windows 7. Windows 7 includes WMP
Computer Specs

10-Dec-2010, 01:54 PM #7
Quote:
I really prefer Outlook but that could cost.
Thunderbird is very similar to outlook - I nolonger use outlook as the cost for the new version was to much and i still have outlook on my XP PC - actually I like the way thunderbird works and dont see a lot of difference really

I have not actually tried - but the compatability website says its OK -
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...20It&os=64-bit
in fact I think office 2003 is the oldest version that will work - i know I had issues with outlook 2000 or 2002 on windows 7

Again I use a free version of openoffice instead of MSoffice now and install that on a lot of windows 7 PCs for people

for WMP - you may need to have a codec for the sony player
VLC is very good - I also use realplayer and quite like that

10-Dec-2010, 01:58 PM #8
I have offfice 2003 on a half dozen windows 7 pc's
Account Disabled with 1,098 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Dec-2010, 02:27 PM #9
Be aware that most of Windows Live are web services which I personally find much less desirable than local services since they aren't usable without a good Internet connection. Live Mail would be an exception though as email more or less requires Internet. Personally I prefer Thunderbird but that's because I started using it years back when it was far superior to Outlook Express.

Overall I'm not a proponent of change for the sake of change (usually expressed as "you've got to use this, it's the latest thing out") but in this case I think Microsoft is forcing you to change. If you've got to change anyway then it might as well be to the best that's available which, in my opinion, is Thunderbird-but YMMV. (Note that I use multiple email accounts so I rely on being able to both see all of my email at once & also to reply from a specific identity. Outlook Express & Thunderbird can do this, but Live Mail can't-which narrows *my* choice to Thunderbird even if I weren't already familiar with it.)
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,392 posts.

10-Dec-2010, 02:38 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by liketolearn View Post
WMP didn't work to play my videos from my sony camera so I had to use VLC instead but not sure if it was my old computer or ? Will Offic 2003 work in windows 7 as I would like the word as well?
W7 WMP & WLMM works with the Videos from my Sony DCR-SX63.

Office 2003 files on the W7 desktop like to relocate themselves every time you Open .. Edit .. And save the file ..
Other than that annoyance .. It works.
Office 2007 or 2010 doesn't have this annoyance.
You'll have to pay extra in Office 2010 .. And get One Note .. If you like to use Document/Image Scanning .. (OCR to Word)

Last edited by Noyb; 10-Dec-2010 at 02:44 PM..
Account Disabled with 1,098 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Dec-2010, 03:05 PM #11
Here's a description of Live Mail that might help you decide. http://www.vista4beginners.com/Windows-Live-Mail Note, towards the bottom, the caution that some utilities need to be updated to work with it. The one specifically mentioned is Kaspersky Anti-virus but it made me wonder if there might be similar problems synchronizing Contacts with your phone. If that's important to you, then you might want to check with your phone support group before choosing an email client.
Member with 202 posts.

10-Dec-2010, 05:46 PM #12
Thanks so much for all your advice/opinions and I will try to figure out what I will like to use.
One more thing, is the now 64 bit in my new PC going to be a problem as my old is 32 bit? And should I install my Norton (have it from a 3/disc) before doing anything else like my documents?? Sorry, this is all got me worried that I will screw up something and loose stuff !!! Well I guess I can always get the fix here!!
I will probably try this tonight so I may be back asking more questions!
Thanks...... so far
Computer Specs

10-Dec-2010, 05:56 PM #13
you can always check programs here
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...?type=Software
The unfortunate thing is - its not always correct - I have checked a couple of older programs, that said they would not work and need a later version - BUT they did work OK

if you want to put norton, check there is no security suite already installed - often PCs come with a timelimited version - HP tend to put Norton on - so check what you have and post back here - you do not want two security suites on the PC - also i would suggest uninstalling and running the uninstall tool - which we can link to oncve we know what you have on the PC

you can copy you data across when ever you like - but i would make sure you have a virus program on to protect you before you spend to much time online
Member with 202 posts.

11-Dec-2010, 12:01 PM #14
OK so here is my problem now, I downloaded Windows Live Mail for xp and thought I was understanding....In my Outlook Express I have the family email acct which doesnot require a password, then I have my own acct which I go to "switch identities" then mine requires a password. We cannot figure how to set that up. I see how it can add multiple emails all accessible, but how do I keep my email acct password protected?
Thanks, I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure it all out!
Computer Specs

11-Dec-2010, 12:04 PM #15
i would setup a different user account on the PC - so the family is completely separate to your account
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!