Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

cannot view photos in photo viewer because you do not have correct permissions

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Dec-2010, 01:14 AM #1
cannot view photos in photo viewer because you do not have correct permissions
I have had issues viewing photos since upgrading to Windows 7. The message I was getting in Photoviewer was:cannot view photos in photo viewer because you do not have correct permissions. I followed the instructions in a 2007 string from TheOutcaste and ran the command: icacls *.* /reset /T /C in the folder where my photos was stored. This made it possible for me to see approximately 80 to 90 % of my photos which is GREAT. However, I still have a fairly large number of photos which are not accessible unless I go through the tedious manual task of assigning myself as the owner. I've run the command again and can see that on those photos which cannot be seen that there is a notation that access was denied. Any additional ideas on what I might be able to do in order to "release" these photos in mass...and not manually one at at time?? Thank you in advance. skyglover
mel8again mel8again is offline mel8again has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 767 posts.

15-Dec-2010, 09:58 AM #2
What is Photoviewer? A free software program? Why not just right click on the picture file and select Open with from the menu. You can choose Internet Explorer, Paint or any photo program you have installed on your computer (other than Photoviewer of course). You can highlight any number of pictures and have them open in your browser if you like. There are also lots of freeware out there for manipulating and viewing pictures as well as some inexpensive software. Try Windows Live Photo Gallery. It has tools for cropping, red eye, etc.
Computer Specs
Member with 97 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Dec-2010, 11:55 AM #3
-right click the folder or disk where the photo are and select properties.

-in the security tab, click advanced (on the bottom right)

-in the permission tab plz verify that the administrators group as full control (i consider that you are administrator of your computer)
-if not full control, click permissions, then select administrators group and click edit, add full control.
Computer Specs

15-Dec-2010, 10:21 PM #4
Thank you mel8again...this is a permissions "feature" which came with both my original upgrade from XP to Windows 7 as well as my new computer with Windows 7. For some reason, even though I'm an administrator...it does not believe that I'm the "owner" of the data. For some reason...I do not have permissions to my own data. This is not an application issue...it's a security issue on my own machine. I think it's a security "feature".
Computer Specs

15-Dec-2010, 10:39 PM #5
Thank you sevenup132...I've done this previously at both the folder and photo levels. In my exprerience, it has taken around 10 or 12 clicks plus entering my username to make me the "owner" and give me the necessary permissions to see a see the photo. I'm trying to find the golden nugget that does this in mass. The string I listed in my original post worked very well...but for some reason...there are still quite a few photos in which "access was denied" and the string did not give me the necessary permission. I'm just trying to avoid all that one-by-one manual work.
Computer Specs
Member with 597 posts.

16-Dec-2010, 12:10 AM #6
Just curious, where are your Photos Stored? Which Folder/Path?
Computer Specs

16-Dec-2010, 09:49 AM #7
They are actually on a removable HDD and not on the main HDD. When I used the command above...I had to "map" to that HDD and the Primary Folder the photos are stored in before I could run the command. When I realized that running the command on the Primary flolder the photos were in did not "fix" all the photos, I ran the command again against the sub-folders w/o any change in availability. Those previously un-viewable and not fixed by the first run of the command were still un-viewable and in the Command window there was a line indicating that "Access (was) denied" to each of the photos which the command did not fix. I did a recount of my clicks to fix this and it actually take me 21 clicks plus typing in my username...assuming I don't make any mistakes in the sequence...for each photo I want to manually give myself ownership/permission to see. So you can see why I'd love to have an automated process to fix the remainder of the photos. If it were a reasonable number of photos I'd fix them manually...but we're talking THOUSANDS of photos which are still not viewable. I've moved some of these to the C: drive and they are still not viewable w/o going through the entire dance of clicks and username entry.
Computer Specs
Member with 97 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Dec-2010, 11:45 AM #8
in the security tab, advanced, there is an "owner" tab, try edit yourself the current owner NOT administrators.

if you are not in the list, click "other user or group" then "advanced" then "find now" and select the user you are using right now to view the photos.

do this directly on your removable HDD (right click, properties)
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!