Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Sound not working, Facebook chat/youtube crashes browser

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
26-Dec-2010, 08:31 PM #1
Unhappy Sound not working, Facebook chat/youtube crashes browser
Alright, so here's the issue:

At random intervals (or SEEMINGLY random; I assume I must be doing something wrong but I'm not sure what's setting it off) the sound on my laptop will stop working. This includes any and all programs (startup sounds, msn messenger, etc.) At the same time, trying to play a youtube video will cause the internet to crash (ANY browser.) Someone messaging me in Facebook Chat will also cause the internet to stop responding (again, ANY browser.) Trying to play a music file (e.g: an mp3) will cause whatever program is running it (WMP, iTunes) to stop responding.

This makes me assume there's an issue with the sound card. I've looked up the problem but to no avail. All I've really found is that similar issues seem to be experienced by Windows 7 users. People around other forums have also mentioned Shockwave and Flash, but I'm not really sure how that would cause MSN to make no sound or cause WMP to crash upon trying to play a file. I'm not sure if these are all related, but it seems like it because they seem to "turn on" at the same time. All the problems also stop at seemingly random intervals.. When they start and stop, I honestly haven't done anything out of the ordinary (as far as I'm aware), so it's difficult to figure out which process is causing this. Can someone please help?

I believe my computer specs and info should be on my profile somewhere.. if not, I'll post it.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Computer Specs
Member with 597 posts.

26-Dec-2010, 11:42 PM #2
When did this problem start to happen?
Did it possibly start after some MS Updates?
Etc...
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 29 posts.

Experience: I know a thing or two
27-Dec-2010, 12:43 AM #3
Which browsers have you tried?
What Sound card do you have? your Sys info doesn't say what the sound card is.
Computer Specs

27-Dec-2010, 04:25 PM #4
@ RaytheBear:
To be honest, I'm not sure when they started.. it's become so much of a regular thing for me and around at the time they started I wasn't sure of anything I did differently either. I'm sorry I can't help much there - but you probably know more than I do!

@ PoddyMcQ:
Under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers in the Device Manager, I have the following:
-ATI High Definiton Audio Device
-IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
Computer Specs

27-Dec-2010, 04:26 PM #5
@ PoddyMcQ again:
Firefox, Chrome, and IE.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
no sound, youtube crash

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!