Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop Running really slow after installing windows 7

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
01-Jan-2011, 03:58 PM #1
Unhappy Laptop Running really slow after installing windows 7
Please help!!

Since installing Windows 7 on my HP Pavillion it has been running so slowly it crashes if i open more than 1 program. It constantly sound like its burning a CD like the fan is doing overtime!!!

I have updated the drivers, installed antivirus, i have runa registry cleaner and not change. Please can you help??

Maria
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,945 posts.

01-Jan-2011, 10:31 PM #2
What OS was on the system before?

How much RAM?

What CPU speed?

What drivers (Windows 7 from HP? Vista from HP? whatever Windows finds?)?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
02-Jan-2011, 07:18 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
What OS was on the system before?

How much RAM?

What CPU speed?

What drivers (Windows 7 from HP? Vista from HP? whatever Windows finds?)?

Hi,

*The OS before was Vista
*The RAM is 2.00 gb
*CPU Speed is 1900mhz
Not sure about the drivers how do i find this out?

Thanks
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,945 posts.

02-Jan-2011, 10:33 AM #4
Your RAM and CPU are fine for running Windows 7; the machine should run a little better than it did with Vista.

Since you're not sure about the drivers surely you are using whatever Windows found and installed. Often these are fine, but when you are having troubles, as you are, you should look for others.

On HP's web site, Support section, find the information for your exact model (if you look at my Computer specs you'll see that I have two Pavilions and they are very different). For some (very few) models there is a recommendation to update the BIOS when going to Windows 7. If there are Windows 7 drivers for your model you should download and install them, beginning with the chipset. Use the Vista drivers instead if necessary.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 55,491 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Jan-2011, 01:01 PM #5
Maria:

Did you install Windows 7(32-bit) or Windows 7(64-bit)?

What's the model number of that HP Pavilion? If you don't know for sure, advise what the product number or service tag number on the sticker is.

I don't know at this point what you have installed and what's auto-loading and running in the background, but we can look into that later.

A word of advice. Stay away from registry cleaner/booster/optimizer/tuneup type programs.

----------------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!