Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Hard Drive found in BIOS but not in Windows 7 Disk Management

(!)

Member with 40 posts.

04-Jan-2011, 09:14 AM #1
Question Hard Drive found in BIOS but not in Windows 7 Disk Management
Gentlemen, thanks for your help.

Long story short:

1) One random day, computer would not boot and I reformatted and re-installed Windows 7
2) My primary SATA hard drive with Windows 7 is working fine
3) My secondary SATA hard drive (my pictures!) is detected in BIOS but not in Disk Management. It used to work fine.
4) I've tried refreshing Disk Management, but no "unnamed drive" or anything shows up
5) I've tried moving the missing hard drive's SATA connection on the motherboard
6) I've tried downloading the latest motherboard RAID drivers and BIOS version from my motherboard's manufacturer

Now I'm thinking about buying an external USB enclosure for the SATA hard drive to get my pictures. I'd be out $20 and no longer have the drive directly connected to my motherboard, which I believe is a much faster connection.

Would you guys have any advice?

Thanks a lot and happy new year!
Josh
Member with 1,312 posts.

04-Jan-2011, 12:45 PM #2
Have you tried reformatting the hard drive?
Member with 40 posts.

04-Jan-2011, 12:56 PM #3
I cannot reformat the hard drive because my pictures are on the drive. I would lose them.
storage_man storage_man is offline   storage_man has a birthday soon!
Member with 312 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jan-2011, 02:27 PM #4
Since you didn't indicate what caused your original problem, it may have been a virus. Since you reformatted and reinstalled WIN/7, your primary drive is fine. But if there was a virus on your system, your secondary drive may have also been infected. Some virus attack the MBR (Master boot Record). If its corrupted (MBR), your BIOS will see the drive, but windows will not. SO ! I would recommend you read this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392 and follow the procedure they outline. You maybe able to restore this drive so that you can continue to access it.

Good luck.
Member with 40 posts.

04-Jan-2011, 05:47 PM #5
I don't know what caused the original problem that caused my computer to not boot.

I don't know what caused the Disk Management tool to not find the drive.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
bios, disk management, missing hard drive

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!