Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

hard drive is blank

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Jan-2011, 01:23 PM #1
hard drive is blank
So, somehow my hard drive is blank. All it has is a partition that says x:Boot. There are no other partitions. I cant install any version of windows, ubuntu or anything. What can I do to create a partition.
Lance1   (Lance) Lance1 is offline Lance1 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,172 posts.

16-Jan-2011, 09:01 PM #2
I take it that this drive is a slave drive? Right click Computer on the desktop and select Manage Click Disk Management Right click on the drive in question and select Format Select NTFS and name the drive whatever you want.
Computer Specs

17-Jan-2011, 01:46 AM #3
Nope, this is the primary drive.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,957 posts.

17-Jan-2011, 01:09 PM #4
GParted would be my choice (because I use it and haven't tried any of the other bootable partition managers).
Computer Specs

19-Jan-2011, 12:32 PM #5
Ok, I am not a computer tech. Once I download this program, what do I do. I don't know command lines, code and all that jazz. Is there a walk through for it?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,957 posts.

19-Jan-2011, 01:30 PM #6
You downloaded gparted-live-0.7.1-5.iso (119.6 MB) to a Windows machine? If so, double click on the .iso to create a bootable CD. If Windows doesn't know what to do with the file then download and install ISO Recorder and try again.

Then boot to the newly created CD. I have one machine that "fights" with GParted, but on the others the boot is pretty easy. Mostly just take the defaults, and you will end up with a GUI, and a display of your hard drive. You can create, delete, resize, format, etc., partitions w/o knowing any low level commands or code or whatever.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!