Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't access Devices and Printers

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Feb-2011, 10:44 PM #1
Can't access Devices and Printers
I've got a brand new Asus G53jw-A1. I took some settings from my old Asus m50vm-B1 when I bought it. Now when I try to print, the G53 is using the settings of the m50vm and gives me an error saying it can't find a computer named m50vm-B1.

I'm hooking up the G53 to a HP Deskjet 6988 via USB and it won't print or even let me go to Devices and Printers so I can delete all the printers and let Windows recognize them fresh.

I tried searching my registry for all keys "m50vm-B1" and deleted them, then restarted. It didn't help.

Any advice?
LagunaGTO LagunaGTO is offline LagunaGTO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 139 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Feb-2011, 01:46 AM #2
Unplug the printer from USB.

Go to Start, type in services.msc and press enter.

Locate Print Spooler and restart it, then re-attempt to load Devices and Printers.

Remove printers. Restart. Once Windows is fully loaded, plug the printer back in.
Computer Specs

02-Feb-2011, 10:23 AM #3
I tried restarting and trying to access Printers and Devices and it did the same thing.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...Untitled-2.png

It loads 95% of the way and just hovers there as it did before.
Member with 255 posts.

02-Feb-2011, 12:55 PM #4
Yikes. This is a little extreme, but have you tried reinstalling Windows 7? I'm really baffled as to why you can't go to the device and printers window. The only thing I could think of is to do a clean install of the OS, or maybe go into device manager, but it sounds like you tried that as well.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team
Computer Specs

02-Feb-2011, 01:07 PM #5
Haha, I don't know if I want to reinstall the entire OS just to get printers to work. There's got to be an easier way.
Member with 255 posts.

02-Feb-2011, 01:42 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsAttack View Post
Haha, I don't know if I want to reinstall the entire OS just to get printers to work. There's got to be an easier way.
Yelling might help, but realistically, it's limiting if you can't access any of the devices/printers windows. I'm also stumped, sir.
LagunaGTO LagunaGTO is offline LagunaGTO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 139 posts.

02-Feb-2011, 02:13 PM #7
Devices/Printers not loading means that the Print Spooler is crashing hard core due to a bad print driver most likely on your PC somewhere. We just dealt with a site at my work having this problem. Once we got the drivers cleared out, everything was running smooth.

If you stop the Print Spooler service, I'm 100% confident that Devices and Printers will open (problem is, it won't show printers).

Alright, so here is what we're going to do:

Make sure that all printers are unplugged from your PC during this time:

1. Click Start, type "Services.msc" (without the quotation marks) in the Search box and press Enter.
  2. Double-click "Printer Spooler" in the Services list.
  3. Click Stop and click OK.
  4. Click Start, type "%WINDIR%\system32\spool\printers" in the Start Search box and press Enter, delete all files in this folder.
  5. Click Start, type "Services.msc" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box and press Enter.
  6. Double-click "Printer Spooler" in the Services list.
  7. Click on Start. In the Startup Type list, make sure that "Automatic" is selected and click OK.
After that, head to the Control Panel. Go to Administrative Tools. Go to Print Management.
  • Expand Print Servers
  • Expand your PC
  • Click on Drivers
  • Delete anything related to an actual driver for this printer
  • Click on Printers
  • Delete the Printer if it is listed.
If you receive errors trying to remove it, let me know and we will need to do more.

If not, reboot your PC and attempt to open Devices and Printers again.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!