Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

HELP!!! My computer is running at 100% cpu usage all the time

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 31 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Feb-2011, 11:52 AM #1
HELP!!! My computer is running at 100% cpu usage all the time
well i don't know why, but all of a sudden my computer just start using 100% cpu constantly. like it never goes down to an idle percentage. it is really getting annoying with the fan super fast and loud.
so if anyone can help, do so before i break this thing.

thanks.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,263 posts.

09-Feb-2011, 10:13 AM #2
The fan may be running super fast and loud because of overheating. Check that all air vents are clear. If it is a desktop clean out the dust bunnies and clean any crud off the heat sink.

What process(es) are using lots of CPU (Task Manager is probably sufficient to answer this)?
Member with 468 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Feb-2011, 05:53 PM #3
Hit CTL+ALT+DEL and at the menu select "Task Manager" Select the "Processes" tab and then sort by the CPU column. This will sort the processes by CPU use. It is probably 1 process that is causing the issue. Note the process name, then right-click and end it. Watch to see if it comes back. You can find out what the process is by typing its name into google.
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,252 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Feb-2011, 06:16 PM #4
Right-click the Taskbar.

Click Task Manager.

Click the Processes tab.

Take a screenshot of this window AFTER click the memory sorting tab (sorts the entries in order of largest to smallest in terms of resource usage. You may have to click multiple times for the desired effect.)

Take a screenshot of this and attach it in your next post.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cpu 100%, window 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!