Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Web pages suddenly slow to load.

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

14-Feb-2011, 03:02 AM #1
Web pages suddenly slow to load.
Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this annoying problem.

I have a 14MB connection. Yesterday I noticed that web pages with advertising on them seem to load in very slowly. The hotmail sign in page loads in instantly and the only thing I notice different is that it's not spammed up with advertisements.

I've uninstalled ActiveX, Flash, and Java, and reinstalled them. I've also run Malwarebytes and my system was clean. I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 with an active subscription and a clean bill of health. This problem occurs with all of my browsers, Chrome, Firefox and IE. Tracert gives me good readings. I did a system restore back 8 days, and I still have this problem.

What happens is the following: The webpage loads in, but stops responding for about 15 seconds, sometimes Google Chrome asks me if I want to kill the page. At the bottom it always says something like: Waiting for ad.yieldmanager.com or
bids.open.net or ad.g.net. It's almost like Active X is corrupted or something and is having trouble loading in the advertisements properly. Suddenly the ads load in and the page then becomes responsive. Before this problem started occuring the pages loaded in instantly.

I'm not quite sure what to do here other than reinstall Windows 7. I'd like that to be a last resort if possible, and I'd like to get this figured out because I'll always wonder what the problem actually was.

If anyone has a suggestion or help for me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
Member with 255 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Feb-2011, 02:24 PM #2
From your description, it does sound like you have some sort of virus running in the backend. I've had a similar issue in the past and I had to do a clean install, so that might be the way to go, unfortunately. You might want to backup your data.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team

15-Feb-2011, 12:57 AM #3
Hmm...I was hoping that someone would have some ideas rather than having to reinstall.

As I said, I have Kaspersky Internet Security with an active subscription and it shows I have a clean system. Other than ESET NOD32, I don't know of another anti-virus program that is so highly rated. I've also run Malwarebytes and done a full system scan, and it shows my system is clean also.

Surely it has to be something other than a virus ?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,245 posts.

15-Feb-2011, 01:19 AM #4
You could try to test your browser/browsers in Safe Mode with networking.. If works fine there, then you could perform a clean boot to narrow down the offending application..

15-Feb-2011, 01:22 AM #5
How exactly does one perform a clean boot ? I'm guessing I disable all my start-up items or something ?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,245 posts.

15-Feb-2011, 02:46 AM #6
Test first in Safe mode with networking. If fails there, there is no need for a clean boot.

Clean boot is preventing 3rd parties apps/service from loading at startup or running in the background/ You can do that from MSCONFIG/Selective Startup..

Please let me know if works in Safe Mode with Networking

17-Feb-2011, 10:55 PM #7
The problem happens in safe mode with networking. However now it only happens 75% of the time instead of every time. I don't get it. Any other ideas before I spend a day backing up and reinstalling everything ?

Thanks for everyone's help.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 29 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Feb-2011, 12:16 AM #8
Did you install an ad blocker? Did you install software such as Safe Eyes? I know that Safe Eyes can slow down internet sometimes. Check all your processes and see if there's anything unusual.

18-Feb-2011, 02:18 AM #9
No, I do not have an ad blocker. If it helps, I graduated college for computer programming, so while I'm not a pro by any means, I do know my way around a computer better than the average person. As I said, it just suddenly started, but the weird thing is that it's doing it less frequently, but it is still occurring. Also of note is that I have not changed anything, so I'm not sure why it's suddenly getting better.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!