Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: how to make win 7 look & act like xp explorer (folder sys)

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 48 posts.

Experience: beginner-intermediate
14-Feb-2011, 12:49 PM #1
Solved: how to make win 7 look & act like xp explorer (folder sys)
I really use the functionality of win xp explorer regularly (e.g., moving files to new folders as the project status changes). Is there a way to make win 7 explorer look and act like xp explorer. I also like the search feature of xp explorer and the fact that I can easily see the path name, creation and modification date. All of that stuff is essential for my work. If there is not a way to truly make win 7 professional act like the xp explorer (i.e., efficiently) is there a program I can use to take over this function? Thanks for any assistance.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,951 posts.

14-Feb-2011, 04:10 PM #2
If you do a web search for "Windows 7 file manager" (w/o the quotes) you'll find other file managers that may suit you better than Windows Explorer.

Have you explored (no pun intended) some of the tons of options in Windows Explorer? If not, you might start with Organize - Layout. Several different choices there. I like the menu bar showing, so always select that. Under the View menu (in the menu bar) are lots of choices of how to display folder contents. If you choose "Details" there are then tons of choices--probably including the ones you want.

If you have multiple Windows Explorer windows open it is easy to copy or move files from folder to folder. To open an additional window either right click on a folder and select "open in a new window" or right click on Windows Explorer in the Task bar and select "Windows Explorer."

In XP I used the "copy to" and "move to" and "delete", etc., icons a lot, and really missed them at first in Vista and Windows 7. But with a little usage I've adjusted and now seldom use them when I return to XP.
Computer Specs
Member with 48 posts.

Experience: beginner-intermediate
14-Feb-2011, 08:26 PM #3
Thank you so much TerryNet for the quick reply and helpful information. If I'm still not satisfied with tweaking win 7 explorer, can you recommend any particular alternative software that wont conflict with win 7? I googled "windows 7 file manager" and there seem to just be so many of them. Thanks again!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,951 posts.

14-Feb-2011, 09:02 PM #4
Quote:
... can you recommend any particular alternative software ...
Cannot. I learned to "love" Windows Explorer. Or at least to live with it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!