Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Acer "Restore to Factory Settings"

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

25-Feb-2011, 12:40 PM #1
Acer "Restore to Factory Settings"
I recently had a virus/malware attack on my system, removed it, but the system is damaged (Security center & updates cant be started etc) . I want to restore the comp using the acer feature "restore to factory settings".

But I wonder, must I have a Win7-installation CD after the restore?? Because the computer came with preinstalled Windows 7 when I bought it..
Keep in mind that it's a factory settings restore not a complete format c (i think)

I've done a backup on hardrive "D" of my current system in case of anything going wrong..

If a Cd is required, could you tell me another way to format the comp without buying the CD??

My security center is damaged, so restore to point doesnt work either.. If you got any solutions to how to start security center except setting it to "automatic" in services.msc (Since this doesnt work), please post 'em.

Please, try to not posty links to Acer's support, because they dont give any better answers.

Sorry if there were misspeelings here and there, was in a rush..
Member with 217 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Feb-2011, 12:54 PM #2
from Acer Support Site:

How do I reinstall the Operating System on my computer?

How do I reinstall the Operating System on my computer?
Select models, with Microsoft Windows, have the ability to have the Operating System reinstalled from a hidden partition built into the computer.
Note: During the process, all data stored on your computer will be overwritten. This means all your files, such as email and photos, will be erased. Therefore, we recommend making a backup of all personal data before starting the recovery process.
To start the system recovery:
  1. Restart the computer.
  2. When the Acer logo appears on the screen, press the Alt and F10 keys repeatedly.
  3. If you are prompted with a Microsoft Windows boot screen, press the Enter key.
  4. After the system recovery application has loaded, follow the prompts to reinstall the Operating System.
If the ability to reinstall from the previous method is not available or fails, recovery of the Operating System will need to be from Recovery Media. If you do not have a set of Acer Recovery Media, you may purchase the set online from the Acer Recovery Media Order Form.
Note: If your computer does not have an internal optical disc drive, an external optical disc drive will be required in order to recover the Operating System using Acer Recovery Media.
  1. Restart the computer.
  2. When the Acer logo appears on the screen, press the F12 key repeatedly to enter the computer's Boot Menu.
  3. Press the CD-ROM drive eject button and insert the disc labeled System CD.
  4. Close the CD-ROM tray.
  5. Refer to on screen instructions to select either CDROM or USB CDROM.
  6. The computer will boot from the Acer Recovery Media
  7. When prompted for the Recovery CD, remove the System CD and insert the Recovery CD.
    Note: If there are multiple Recovery CDs, please insert the first of the Recovery CDs.
  8. After the system recovery application has loaded, follow the prompts to reinstall the Operating System.
Note: if your computer is unable to run the Acer Recovery process, or errors occur during recovery, please contact Acer support.
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Feb-2011, 12:57 PM #3
http://www.ehow.com/how_4478845_rest...-settings.html
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/2040-acer-...ctory-settings
You should have a restore partition (may be hidden) that this process will access and not need a DVD.
There is also a startup method for accessing the recovery process (in case Acer Recovery Management doesn't start) involving holding the F10 or 11 or 12 key down, sometimes in conjuction with the Alt key. It is on the Acer support sites somewhere.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,618 posts.

25-Feb-2011, 10:10 PM #4
You may or may not get an option to format the drive when doing the Recovery (restore to factory defaults), but either way that re-imaging process is in lieu of doing an actual Windows install; no installation DVD is needed.
Account Disabled with 16,918 posts.

26-Feb-2011, 02:00 PM #5
I would also like to add...be patient with the factory recovery..there will appear times it will be frozen etc...it isnt,its just busy...powering down with a recovery going on can be very bad and leave you with an unbootable machine.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
acer, restore, virus, without cd/dvd

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!