Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: HD Res Doesn't Fit TV Screen

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 99 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Mar-2011, 10:32 PM #1
Solved: HD Res Doesn't Fit TV Screen
My specs are below. I'm trying to run my computer through my TV screen via HDMI cable. The screen is a 46" Samsung LN46A530
Anyways, I set the TV to 16:9 ratio, but a small top section of my desktop/display doesn't actually fit in the screen and I was wondering if there's a way around this. There's also an option on the T.V. to auto-adjust and fit all, but when I do that, everything becomes squished, near-impossible to read, and reverts back to the broken 16:9 display whenever I open a game or movie. Thanks in advanced!

Here are my computer specs:

Processor: Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz 8MB Cache
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)

Last edited by PlasmaWaffle; 19-Mar-2011 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: Had wrong model name
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,279 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Mar-2011, 10:46 PM #2
Are you you setting the computer's video output to 1920 x 1080, @ 60 Hz resolution? That should exactly fill the screen of the LN46A530.
Computer Specs
Member with 99 posts.

19-Mar-2011, 11:26 PM #3
Yes I am, the problem is that it seems to completely fill the screen, and then fill it some more
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: HD Res Doesn't Fit TV Screen-samsung-problem.jpg  
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,279 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Mar-2011, 12:16 AM #4
That is weird.Yoru screen capture shows that the card seems to be reading the monitor's settings correctly but your description of the problem sounds like the card is actually outputting a lot more than 1080 lines of video

The only thing that comes to mind at the moment would be to see if updated video drivers are available. If you do have the latest drivers, then re-installing them may help.
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

20-Mar-2011, 01:11 AM #5
Its probably an overscan discrepancy, but that should be equal overfill on all sides, so that if its scaled it fits perfectly at some point between 0 and 15% scaling. I'm not familiar with what this is called in NVIDIA control but its called Scaling in CCC control panels.
Computer Specs
Member with 99 posts.

20-Mar-2011, 01:24 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairnooks View Post
Its probably an overscan discrepancy, but that should be equal overfill on all sides, so that if its scaled it fits perfectly at some point between 0 and 15% scaling. I'm not familiar with what this is called in NVIDIA control but its called Scaling in CCC control panels.
Thank you I found it! It's called Desktop Size and Position in the NVidia Control Pannel
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
16:9 samsung doesn't fit

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!