Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Problem installing Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 44 posts.

22-Mar-2011, 02:38 PM #1
Exclamation Solved: Problem installing Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate
Hello everyone

I have recently purchased Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate for my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

But as soon as it starts installing after choosing install directory, it gives me the error 1603, meaning a fatal error upon installation. The installer doesnt even make it through the first part of the installation (It tries to install the report tool first).

I tried to find out what caused this issue, and I nailed it down to the error below.

Code:
Error 1402. Could not open key: UNKNOWN\Components\DA42BC89BF25F5BD0AF18C3B9B1A1EE8\000021599B0090400000000000F01FEC.  System error 5.  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.
I have experienced the same issue a while ago when installing Adobe Premiere Pro when it was installing VC Redist files. So, I tried to go into regedit, find the key and try to delete it. When I find it and click on it, it gives me the access denied box, even tho I have full Administrator access and have disabled UAC.

So, instead I found out that I could use PSExec (An application that comes packaged with PSTools) and used that with the -s argument and -i argument to run regedit, so I had full system rights over Regedit. This is where the next problem comes. Since the keys are only accessible by my primary account with administrator rights, then it is not possible for the system account to view the folder in any way! As a last resort, I used subinacl to fix the permissions, but it does not seem to fix all of the keys, as it still gives som errors when fixing the keys.

So any help is really appreciated, and I hope I do not need to reformat my pc. Thank you

- Jake
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
basic, issue, regedit, visual

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!