Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: USB ports not working on W7 login screen

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

24-Mar-2011, 11:25 AM #1
Solved: USB ports not working on W7 login screen
Hi there,

I have the exact same problem with this post:
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/...t-working.html
There is a solution posted there but I didn't see any confirmation whether it worked or not. Just wondering if anybody knows.

To summarize the issue, my usb ports (mouse and keyboard) stopped working after it gets to windows welcome screen. It worked prior to that (I could get in to the bios and use the keyboard there) and I can even get to the windows repair mode and have my usb mouse and keyboard working. But booting it normally (or even safe mode) will disable keyboard and mouse (and all usb ports i believe) at the login screen. I don't have a PS/2 port so I don't have any alternative way to type in my pwd at the login screen. I would like to try the solution posted above, since I can get to the repair mode, open command prompt and run regedit, but just unsure since I didn't see any response from the user on that post whether it worked or not.

thanks!
Rockn Rockn is offline   Rockn has a birthday soon!
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
24-Mar-2011, 11:50 AM #2
Boot into safe mode and see if they work. Was any software installed recently that coincides with losing functionality?

24-Mar-2011, 11:54 AM #3
Nope, even in safe mode, or saef mode with networking or safe mode with command prompt. It gets to the login screen but that's where the usbs stop working.

Yes, I was installing SP1 for Visual Studio 2010. And I've been looking/ googling for issues related to this but no luck yet.
Member with 123 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Mar-2011, 12:25 PM #4
Just try it, export the keys before you do it

He posted wrong keys
I am running 64 bit just get to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class and look for correct keys

these are mine where upperfilters equals these
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
kbdclass
vmkbd

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
mouclass

28-Mar-2011, 11:03 AM #5
Thanks for the suggestions. It didn't work unfortunately.

I was able to get it working though, apparently some of my device drives became 'unsigned' after the update. I tried booting windows with the 'Disable Device Signature Enforcement' option (F8 when boot) and my kb and mouse worked. So one option is to keep doing this on every boot, which is annoying. So I searched around to ways to disable it permanently, and it's not too simple to do apparently, may have to install some third party software.
I then just run (from Run or cmd) sigverif to look for what devices are unsigned, uninstall those devices from device manager, reboot and let windows get and install the driver again automatically. The're likely the same drivers but they're 'signed' this time (running sigverif again gave me no list) ...go figure...
Rockn Rockn is offline   Rockn has a birthday soon!
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
28-Mar-2011, 11:37 AM #6
Better yet, don't let Windows Update your device drivers. I would think just changing the device driver to a generic one would sort it out or roll it back
Member with 123 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Mar-2011, 07:19 PM #7
Right click Computer on Start, System properties, Hardware Tab, Device Installation Settings
No, let me choose.
figure out what you want
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
usb port failure, windows 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!