Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows 7 Windows 7
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How do i change name on "users" folder - its locked

(!)

Member with 185 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Mar-2011, 10:13 PM #1
How do i change name on "users" folder - its locked
i am selling a laptop to a co-worker but am having troubles changing the user name. This is windows 7 home premium 64 bit. The folders under "users" are the "public" and then my name. I want to change it from my name to their name but it has a lock symbol on the folders icon and I cannot figure out how to do it.
I was able to go into user accounts and change the name there, no problem. But the "users" folder will not change also.
How do I do this?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

25-Mar-2011, 10:15 PM #2
You don't change the folder name. You'd have to change the account name. I would suggest you do a secure drive wipe and reload the operating system before selling.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,563 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Mar-2011, 09:29 AM #3
If that laptop came with Windows 7(64-bit) pre-installed, it probably has a built-in recovery partition. If it does, run it and revert it back to its original factory condition. During the setup process, you can enter your co-worker's name.

You really shouldn't sell a computer to someone else that still has all your personal data and "debris" in it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,272 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Mar-2011, 12:03 PM #4
Yes, I would rebuild back to Factory settings and when you get to the point of adding a user, just add a different name.

If you do not want to rebuild, just make a new "Admin" account with any name, and after that on is in use, delete the old account and files from within the Control Panel.

If you rename the Account, it does NOT change the name of the user folder.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,829 posts.

Experience: Omnigeek
26-Mar-2011, 12:15 PM #5
^That's what I would do - just create another user account under the person's name, then delete or disable the original account.
Member with 185 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Mar-2011, 03:39 AM #6
yeah, I like that idea. Disabling or deleting mine and creating a new one for her.
Good idea friends!

(I am not concerned about selling it without reinstalling cause I just bought it a few weeks ago online but ended up not liking the keyboard so she bought it off me....and yes, I know I am too dang fickle to sell it over the keyboard!!)
Computer Specs
Member with 1,829 posts.

Experience: Omnigeek
27-Mar-2011, 11:00 AM #7
I don't blame you - every HP laptop's keyboard I've ever used has driven me nuts. Those chiclet-style keys are hit-or-miss as well.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!